I already have the lighting, now what....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have dual 400 watt halides on a 150 tall. It is 36 inches high. I am keeping african cichlids. Mostly haps and peacocks. Is there any plants I can put in the tank?

I believe you can! I would go for low light plants considering the height of your tank. Hornwort, Wisteria, Java ferns, Java moss, Amazon swords are some I can think of at the moment. I hope Malkore will comment on this thread, he knows everything you need to know about planting your tank.

Good luck!

Go with a lily bulb you can buy at Walmart. They're neat-O! Oh, anything Java-ish should be fine too.

I think you could try anything that's considered medium light, and not 'very difficult' to grow. 800watts over a 150, even if it is a tall...is a heck of a lot of light.
Are you planning on CO2 injection?

I have every plant that Billsgate mentioned and pennywort and a moss ball. I have 110 watts on a 58 gallon no CO2....

Anyone know of any medium lights plants that are carpet like???

Mooose

When I kept saltwater, this lighting was enough for the most light demanding corals and clams. I cannot imagine any plant requiring more light. The tank is 30 inches high. I am currently researching CO2 injectors. I have alot to learn. Plus, I got back into freshwater to save money, and I do not think they are cheap. It is definately something to think about in the future. Travis Simonson's tank is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen, including some of the fully stocked reef tanks.

MP,

The cichlids you are keeping, how much digging will they do? If they are diggers, say goodbye to most rooted plants. From what I've heard, Java fern tastes terrible, and cichlids may leave it alone. Again, more word of mouth, many cichlids just get offended by the presence of plants and rip them to shreds just because of their basic temperment.

I know this isn't much help, but I'd hate to see you spend a buch of bucks on plants and watch yer fish destroy them.

Wow, put a hold on what I've said. I just checked out Travis Simonson's tanks! MP, you need to talk to him, his tanks look great w/plants and Mbunas! I'm outta my league here!

You can do that, or you can just stick them in the gravel...
It will be hard if you already have these fish in your tank to start growing new plants, although possible. You can rubberband stern plants to rocks and then put them in your gravel, you should be relatively safe that way. I like to get my tank up and running, plant everything from day 1, and wait for a month or so before i get in any fish, that way most plants are well rooted.

Anyway, maybe you could give it a go with some cheaper plants and see how your fish respond. You can always toss them afterwards.
I especially like stern plants because you don't have to buy a lot of them. You just let them grow, cut pieces off, stick them in the gravel, and voila, you got yourself a new plant!

Here is what I have did so far in my journey to start a planted cichlid tank.

I have read Travis' jounral and have a list of plant to choose from.

I have made a post in aquariumplants.com asking for a price for a entire Co2 injector kit that will handle my 150.

I have determined I have 5.3 watts of light per gallon with my dual 400 watt halides over my 150 that is 36 inches high.

What types of nutrients do I need to dose with?

I would like to keep this tank relatively maintainace free, however, after keeping a reef, any thing will seem easy, or will it?

Back
Top Bottom