I am in Need of Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really dont know what to name this thread because I have multiple subjects I want to discuss which is also why I am going to go ahead and put it under general discussion, plus the main topic of my other thread was my cory who is no longer around so the focus of the conversation has shifted to my tank in general.

I recently posted a topic asking what was wrong with my cory, well I left for about 2 hours and came home to find that the cory had passed away while I was gone. We discussed the possiblity of Ich in the other topic, but he never showed any signs of scratching and I "might" have seen a few white spots on his head when he was alive, but it was gone when I came back later which makes me think it might have just been sand. He became much darker than my other panda cory and became to when he hardly swam at all even when I tried to make him move with the net, he also seemed to be very red up towards his gill area. I'll add pictures in a comment below.

My tank is 10 gallons. I got two panda cories from my LFS about 3 months ago (I have never had problems with this stores stock before.) The other fish in the tank are 5 rosy finned teras, 1 emerald green cory, and a clown pleco. I had a 20 gallon filter system but the system itself went out on me about 2 weeks ago so I just bought a cheap 10 gallon filter from walmart because I am going to be moving the fish to a larger tank soon and didnt have the money to spend on a filter for a temporary tank. The tank itself has been running with 1 of the cories, the 5 tetras, and the clown pleco for a little over a year now. The one cory that died never moved around much ever since I put him in my tank. I wasnt real worried at first because I thought he was just really stressed from the long ride home but he only got worse over time. I also had to move the tank to another room since ive had them. He never was really big on food, everyone else in the tank is in love with it.

I did a water test yesterday and these where the readings:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm

The ammonia was high (though there are no dead fish in the tank) so I did 30% water change last night and another 20% change today. Today someone suggested I test the water peremeters straight out of the tap and this is what I got as the reading:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: between .25 and .5 (the color was in the middle of those 2 on the chart)
Nitrite: between 2 ppm and 5 ppm which I found very odd coming straight from the sink...
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I'm thinking me doing the water change today must have increased the Nitrites and Ammonia in the tank and finally killed the cory with issues (just to much at once I suppose). Do you think he was sick with something that may have spread to the other fish? I was also kinda susspecting ammonia poisoning. None of my others are showing any signs of illness. I'm also wondering what I need to do with my tap water to make it safe for the aquarium... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pics of the cory that died. His body was also shaped funny, it kinda looked bent at the middle...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409603528.707378.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409603545.802687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you'll need more information or did I cover everything?

By the way I also ordered some catappa leaves to lower the ph some today, I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

And finally here is a full shot of the tank in question so you can see what I have in itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409627808.453405.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409627839.757425.jpg

Thanks

No, none, just the one cory that died, I haven't seen any of the others acting odd. Like I mentioned ich was suspect, but I really think it was something else because the cory was never scratching

If he was always "different" he was probably just a bad fish. Keep up with water changes and you also either need a bigger filter or tank.

?Sawyer?

Your ph is too high try to get it down to 7.2 or 7 that's when I found that my cories where happiest. To lower the ph hook an air pump up to the tank or a co2 system they should be happier

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Like I said I'm waiting for my 30 gallon to finish cycling so I can move them. They won't be in the 10 much longer. Do you know what I can do about the tap water perimeters when adding water to my tank?

Do you use water conditioner

Your ph is too high try to get it down to 7.2 or 7 that's when I found that my cories where happiest. To lower the ph hook an air pump up to the tank or a co2 system they should be happier

Will try! Thanks!

Also to help with your fish getting sick and try to invest in some aquarium salt that helps prevent and cure a lot of different sicknesses

I agree sawyer but a constant lower ph is even better

I bought catappa leaves to help lower the pH. You can also use driftwood which I have. Mine is high because our tap water has a high ph and I have a few pieces of Texas holy rock in the tank which also has pH raising properties.

Back
Top Bottom