i am now in possession of two used 20 gal tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

1 came with a double biowheel filter, which is filthy and both tanks are pretty ... dirty.

I'd like to rescue them. Can anyone give me any suggestions for cleaning them up?

Thanks
P.

nope. been sitting in a garage for some time.

do i need to replace the biowheel filters?

one of the tanks has white film on the glass. they both hold water well and everything works...just don't know how to get them sparkling and what i need to replace.

The biowheel should look filthy. That was the bacteria. A well aged biowheel is so covered it can barely turn ;)

even though it is dried out, should i still use it? or should i replace it?

I don't know what to tell you about the biowheel. I would probably get a new one. As for the tanks, get some white vinegar, a new toothbrush and a razor blade and have at it.

I use the toothbrush on the silicone, because otherwise I would get carried away with the razor blade. Just be sure to rinse really well after.

You can use a diluted bleach solution if you feel it is necessary, but that requires excessive rinsing and declor after.

I would absolutely replace it, the tank needs cycling anyway when you get it up and running. There is a difference between a "dirty" looking bio-wheel that has been in water, and then one that is dirty from dust and other stuff from sitting.

The bacteria is no longer there if it was dried up anyway.

As for cleaning, I have never had a used tank but vinegar, razor blades, aquarium salt are all options.

thanks for the tips. looks like i am gonna be doing some heavy duty cleaning this weekend =)

Back
Top Bottom