I can use all the algae advice I can get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lcmwest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gal tank with 11 fish and one ADF. It is in my office, in front of plate glass window. I know it probably gets too much light, but I do keep my blinds partially closed so it is not exposed to direct sunlight. I have a problem with algae. I can usually control any on the glass, that is minimum. What I can't seem to get on top of is the furry stuff that grows on plants, and the little "algae tumbleweeds" on the gravel. What can I do to help this? I use a 125 biowheel with carbon filter.

first off, 15 gals seems a lil small for 11 fish. but before i say anything more without knowing what im talking about, what kind of fish are they? you seem knowledgable about the causes of algae, and you are able to keep the algae off the tank walls :) for the algae on the bottom of the tank and the algae rolling around, i would suggest buying a few shrimp, if the current fish will not eat them (like my puffer! haha) they'll clean up your tank just like jacque in finding nemo. and depending on the type and size of your fish, maybe a very small pleco. though i do worry it maybe a little crowded for one. good luck with your algae!

I have 4 neons, 2 platies, 1 tetra, 1 stick catfish, 1 adf, 1 panda loach and 2 shrimp.

hello again. im not familar with the abreviation "adf", if you could please expand, that will help me understand your tank situation better. well since you have a couple shrimp in there, they should be helping some- but it seems not at all good enough. basically the direct light will keep that algae happy, healthy, and growing. you said you keep your blinds partially closed, it still may be too close to the window. try relocating if you can.

African Dwarf Frog.
How often are you doing water changes and do you use a gravel vac? Aside from light, any excess nutrients (fish waste and uneaten food) is helping the algae.

I do water changes about 1x month, although the past few months I went to every 2-3 weeks. Yes, I do use a gravel vac.

Whew. Lcm, most of us change water every week here. :wink: On a tank that size, this is especially important. Water quality is the #1 reason for algae growth. A more rigorous water change schedule will help you get rid of nitrates and phosphates that might be inspiring your algae to multiply.

Back
Top Bottom