Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can't keep my tank clean

Hello, I have a 30 gal. with a koi and a pl*co (both about 7-8 inches). The problem I'm having is that I can never seem to get the tank cleaned out at all, theres always a good deal of waste/algae/whatever floating around. I have taken to cleaning the tank once a week and exchange about 1/3 of the water. I use a cheap plastic vacuum tube thing, which just seems to stir everything up.

A lot of this accumulation probably has to do with the fact that my filter cartridge clogs up pretty quick, but it's rated for tanks up to 50 gallons.

Also, I'm really careful to not overfeed, and don't have any ammonia problems.

I'm just wondering if I could get some suggestions on maybe better cleaning tools or other options. (Maybe I should just get a bigger filter?)

Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I would say that you have to keep up on the water changes. Both the koi and the pleco make a lot of waste. If your gravel vac doesn't work to your satisfaction, get a python no spill water change system. I recently bought one and I love it, it makes water changes a breeze and does a really good job of vacuuming the gravel because you can turn of the suction to move to a different part of the tank and restart it again, reducing the amount of water removed while effectively cleaning the gravel.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your 30 gallon is stocked with fish that are too big and they will only get bigger. To make matters worse they are notorious poopers! To keep up with the crap in this tank you would need to do daily gravel vacs and water changes IMO. Your best bet would be to upgrade to a much larger tank or trade the fish for ones better suited to a 30 gallon.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
are you housing the koi temporarily until you can get it into your pond? If not you should probably return it.. it really is a pond fish. you could always give it to someone that has room for it in there outdoor pond (not a fishing pond mind you)
Old 08-31-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem is you have grossly overloaded the bioload on that tank by having two 7"+ fish in there. That tank isn't suitable for one 7" fish, let alone two.
Put the koi in a pond, and put the pleco in 100gallon tank, or return it to the LFS.

I'd also be doing daily 50% water changes for a while to clean up the water, though the only real solution is a pond/huge tank, or getting someone to take the fish who can house them properly.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

This is your post from over a year ago:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...hlight=#182802
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I honestly do not see why people post here when they are not willing to accept the good advice given, in this case,several months ago.

If you were not going to accept the advice then, what makes you ask now?
Frankly, I am for spending my time with people that accept the help offered.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read the old post and while he was given information on the nitrogen cycle he wasn't exactly told that his fish choices were inappropriate for his tank.

Anyway Robotwizard try trading those fish for fish better suited to a 30 gallon and you will find keeping the tank clean a much easier job. I doubt your fish will be able to live very much longer in such a small unsuited dirty space.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you are correct, I stand chastised, my mistake is assuming people read posts other than the ones that they make.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think people have different levels of addiction. Some pop on once and awhile with a question, some search the boards to gather as much information as they possible can, and others live here

And I never meant to chastise!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

The purpose of linking the previous post was too show that the same condition regarding the detrius in the tank still exists to this day. The advice given then is being repeated and in this case, the issue of the fishes size has been discussed.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
What I want to know is, how the heck did JChillin realize there was a similar post a year ago? I think we may have redefined "addiction". 8O
Old 09-01-2005, 02:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 09-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Criptos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andos99
What I want to know is, how the heck did JChillin realize there was a similar post a year ago? I think we may have redefined "addiction". 8O

Yeah I am amazed....
3 Angels
2 Red Flame Dwarf Gouramis
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
MORE COMING SOON
Criptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Sorry to say, but searching on forums (ANY forum) never gets you anywhere because you end up getting topics that have NOTHING to do with what you were searching for other than that they have ONE word in the whole thing.

One of my lfs was keeping this koi in a... I don't know what it was, it must've been like a 30-40 gal or something with this GIANT koi in it O__O poor thing could just about turn around in the tank but it was so freakin awesome! lol
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

i agree with talloulou...ive joined AA about 6 months ago...i dont post that often since i havent had problems after my tanks cycled...but...i always wake up a little earlier before going to work and read every single post...so if i ever have a problem...i kinda know what to do...but thats just me...
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry i didnt realise there was a 2nd page for this topic ....my post sounds a little out of place....
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
that's alright we know what you're talking about lol
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol...thanks puriti...i just read your post about your new thank...congrats!!! and looks nice btw...
4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd like people to hold off on further replies until robotwizard has a chance to reply.
No sense in beating a dead horse.

Tags
clean, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com