I could use some advice on a black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kari

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a black moor that I'm having some trouble with. I got two of them about a month and a half or so ago. One of them appears completey healthy, and is growing well. The other was a little on the puny side when I got him, and doesn't seem to be developing quite as well. There are a couple things I notice on the weak one. For starters, his eyes are alot bigger, and not proportioned as well. The second thing is the fin on the top of his body...at the longest end, or tip of it, it seems to be cut off. The fin goes almost straight across, instead of sloping up towards his head. I think both of these problems are contributing to why he swims so oddly, turning sideways and upside down at times. I think the bigger eyes and misshaped fin are throwing him off balance. I don't know if there's anything that can be done, but if anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

By the way, his name's Google. A couple other things I've noticed lately is he appears to slump or slouch...his back curves, with his head and tail lowest. His other fins don't look nearly as bad, but there is a small amount of fraying...no noticeable deterioration, but maybe was nipped by other fish at the store and it isn't healing properly, or very quickly? I'm tempted to quarantine him, but don't have anything bigger than a gallon container to keep him in. He's still pretty small, but I still don't think he'd like it. I've watched and none of the fish in the tank with him now are picking on him or nipping at him...

Does he seem to have trouble maintaining equilibrium, for example does he seem to always be floating to the top or sinking to the bottom, or constantly having to swim up or down just to hold steady? If so it could be a swim bladder problem. Sometimes feeding peas can help with this. Take some frozen peas, boil them for 2-3 minuets, remove the shells and cut up the insides of the peas to a size he can easily eat.

One of my GF is quite prone to this, but the peas usually straighten things out by the next day.

Here's more info:
http://petplace.netscape.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=2551

If the fin problems are not getting any worse, then I probably wouldn't worry about them. He may have been picked on or sick before you got him, but if they are not decaying now then they will probably heal slowly if you keep them in healthy water conditions.

The fact is these fish are so selectivly bred that genetic problems are fairly common in them, sort of like royalty you get more chances of wierdness if you only breed within a small gene pool.

I figure he must be pretty used to it and not knowing anything else as long as you give him good conditions he should have a great life.

That would be wonderful, I'm going to try the peas...the fish Gods have been pretty unforgiving of me lately, so maybe I'll win this one :? My favorite female betta just died, and I just noticed she'd had dropsy, and must have developed the symptoms in the last three days. I've also realized that another of my three female betta's (two now) also has dropsy, I'm hoping that I've caught it in time with her. These bettas aren't in the same tank with the black moor, just thought I'd mention them though...I'm kinda sad about it at the moment :cry:

Anywho...thanks you guys, I'm gonna try the peas. I hope Google will be okay, my worry is that it seems to be getting more and more difficult for him to keep his balance. I hope the peas help!

Back
Top Bottom