I didnt cycle my new tank :( help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, if you can get some media from a friend or your LFS to place into your filter, that can assist with cycling your tank a little faster.....hope it goes well

Lol I have no idea what any of that means, can u plz explain

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, if you can get some media from a friend or your LFS to place into your filter, that can assist with cycling your tank a little faster.....hope it goes well

Aqualady means if you can get a piece of "dirty" filter from someplace and put it into your filter, it will help the bacteria to grow. You need good bacteria for the cycling. You're kind of seeding your filter.

I hope I explained that okay, if not, someone else probably can clarify.

Oh ok that makes sense, I have a friend that has a tank with coy and goldfish in it, but his tank is pretty dirty and has redish slimy stuff on his filter.... do u think that it would be ok to take a piece of it and put it in my filter or not becaues I have heard that coy and goldfish produce alot of ammonia in their water

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389207396.074095.jpg. I used this when I had an ammonia spike, it at least detoxifies the ammonia till it's under control

Oh ok that makes sense, I have a friend that has a tank with coy and goldfish in it, but his tank is pretty dirty and has redish slimy stuff on his filter.... do u think that it would be ok to take a piece of it and put it in my filter or not becaues I have heard that coy and goldfish produce alot of ammonia in their water

That'll still work fine, you want the bacteria that's in his filter. The dirt and slime may be unsightly if it comes off the filter into your tank but it won't hurt anything.

I agree with that, water changes are your best option, I mean to neutralize the situation at the moment :)

I know this goes against the grain of this sites cycling ideas. If this were me in your situation, I would buy a bottle of Prime and do a 50% water change and use Prime. Wait 24 hours then empty a bottle of Tetra Safestart. It contains bacteria to get the cycling started.

Monitor your water everyday, if the ammonia gets over .25ppm-.5ppm do a water change. Only do water changes when necessary, every time you do a water change it slows down your cycling process. Alittle bit of ammonia is ok while cycling as the bacteria you are trying to develop needs ammonia to feed off of to grow.

Ok so I tested the ammonia levels today and it was up to 4, I took 1/2 the water out and added new it dropped to a 2 but I know its still to high.... my fish are not swimming at the top anymore and look better but I'm sure the levels will be high again in the morning. What else can I do

Seachem Prime is an effective water conditioner and nitrite/nitrate detoxifier. Only a small dose is required and it probably provides the most bang for your buck. $10 for 500 milliliters which can treat 5000 gallons of water.

The same exact thing is happening to me except ive had my angelfish for about 2 years and transferred them into my 50 gallon and theyve been in there for 2 weeks and even laid eggs and i just lost an angel tonight and the other 3 are going to the top as if its gasping for air. Its the ammonia levels, i was told to do water changes and test the water. If using tap water which contains chlroine and nitrite, use prime to help the water condition out and helps the chemicals come out.

yeah that's what I've been doing for the last 2 weeks, I bought the test kit and everytime my ammonia levels where high I did a 50% water change. That has been working but now ny Nitrates are really high.... even if I do a water change they r still high, what should I do to lower them?

Back
Top Bottom