I Dislike My Puffer Tank ! ... Please Vote / Help A.S.A.P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I try a Humbug Catfish with my two puffers ? (Read all of this post first)

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now that I have finished my discus tank, I feel it is time to turn my horrible puffer tank to something I am proud of. So Extreme Makeover time !

Plans .....
*Do not no longer want U.G filter. I want Internal Box Filter.
*No Longer want Gravel I want Sand.
*Adding some Plants
*Adding Decor
*Adding tankmate ??? ... I want two brisltenose catfish atleast to be added while the puffers are very small. The tank is 18 inch tall and the puffers stay at botem or mid so iw ant something that will stay at the top.

Please comment on anything written above :)

P.S. This will be done before my 10 gal so then the ten gal can be used as a home for them for 2 days while the tank is getting done :)

Please also vote :).

Well. Been to the shops and purchased a Air Pump with two holes so I can have two things running of it so I then Purchased to Box Filters, airline and filter floss for them. I don not need to wait for the box filters to mature As I added the rocks from the U/G Filter to it so all the Freindly bacteria is allready there so the box filters are up and running. I purchased one bag of sand which I know is not enoguh but this way i can see if the filters are coping as I will be able to see the much etc ... on the floor of the tank.

The only thing now is Algea control for this tank should I try a Bristlenose and if it gets bullied move it to my Discus tank ?

I'm no discus expert so I dunno if they'd get along well, but if someone else knows and they do, I don't see any problem with it ^^

I wouldn't keep either of those together long-term.
If it's a few days, I would go with the pleco.
Puffers go all levels of the tank. They are extreme fin nippers, if you wanted tankmates, get some otos. They are great for algae too.
You are thinking dwarf puffers, correct?

Kim

3 foot: Two small sea frog pufferfish

<-- In his siggy

I dunno if those're the one's he's talking about

Well I have foudn out the Scientific Name for my puffer's and it is T. Cutcutia..
Any way .... My tank is now looking good and my puffer's seem to think so. :)

T. Cutcutia can be quite agressive and attack other fish. They are even better suited to a species tank than dwarf puffers. Whether they'd notice bristlenose and attack them I don't know. They prefer rock structures or driftwood to plants but driftwood that leaks alot of tannic acid or large amounts of driftwood should be avoided because they dislike softwater.

Thank you, I am still not happy with the tank yet but it is not finished any way lol. It only contains rocks atm. I am going to add more Sand, plants (Plastic as live never do well in this tank). wood. I have been thinking about tankmates and well the last Yellow tetra has been eaten :? . Dont worry i was not being cruel and feeding them to the puffer's but i added them ages ago and can not catch them lol.
How about a Dora Catfish as a tankmate. They only come out at night (mainly) Hide alot so the trick is to put a piece of bogwood leaning against the front of the glass so it hides there where you can see it and they have really tough skin with little spikes on so the puffer's could not physically harm it and would not get to stressed if I give it a place to hide.

Please reply ....

I don't really have much first hand experience with this puffer but quite frequently if you can get something that hangs out along the bottom and sides of the tank and it's not an easy target puffers will leave it alone. That does depend on individual personalities, size of the tank, and amount of hiding places. Maybe with plenty of hiding places like a few rocks caves and driftwood and keeping the puffers well fed since hungry puffers are more likely to nip fins and go after other fish. Make sure the puffers won't be hurt either. Alot of people have thought if they put their agressive fin nipping puffer with some big agressive community fish all will be well. Instead while puffers are manueverable and fin nippers they aren't fast or good fighters and end up being the ones in hospital or a meal. They also don't make as good of meal as the other fish thought. :roll:

Thnak you for toy reply. The Humbug Catfish can be kept with most fish. I think it is even used in tanks that contain lievbearers as they eat fry, this meens that the population will remain the same even after all the births lol. It will only attack small fish.
Any way there are many hiding places for it. This will not attack the puffers if anything it will be the puffer's attacking the catfish. Should I try it or not ?

Back
Top Bottom