I don't know about my Gourami.. plz help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mveenstra33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day I was at the pet store and my girlfrend picked out a female gourami for me to get. I looked at the other ones in the tank and I saw a Blue Gourami with a scratch on it's side from another fish. So I bought him too so that he would live. They are both doing great in my tank but I noticed the Blue Gourami's antenna's arent out like the other gourami's. Why is this and will it affect the gourami?

The other day I was at the pet store and my girlfrend picked out a female gourami for me to get. I looked at the other ones in the tank and I saw a Blue Gourami with a scratch on it's side from another fish. So I bought him too so that he would live. They are both doing great in my tank but I noticed the Blue Gourami's antenna's arent out like the other gourami's. Why is this and will it affect the gourami?

Is this female gourami colorful at all? Female gouramis aren't super common as they often lack the bright colors that the males have. Its a bit rare to find female gouramis at most pet stores.

If they are both males there is going to be a dominant fish. Aggressiveness often times vary but most of the time subservient fish will withdraw their fins when around the alpha.

From what I know I have one female, and a male about the same size. I didn't get them from a pet store, I got them from a local aquarium store. But the male's antenna are sticking to his body and not poking out like the female's do. Got any ideas why?

It could be stress from the move. =] Is he eating and swimming properly? It could also be an injury... in which case if no one in your tank is aggressive he should heal fine.

yah that is what I was thinking.. He eats and swims fine, I guess I was just worried about him. hah well now I am glad that he should be fine..

Thank you so much!

You're welcome! Please keep us updated if there's any other changes in behavior!

mveenstra33 said:
From what I know I have one female, and a male about the same size. I didn't get them from a pet store, I got them from a local aquarium store. But the male's antenna are sticking to his body and not poking out like the female's do. Got any ideas why?

To me doesn't sound normal, i have not seen a gourami with that condition. Can you post a picture?

Yah sorry the pics are kind of low quality.. Can you tell me anything about my Gourami?

Attachments

• image-1142492869.jpg
    image-1142492869.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4215642604.jpg
    image-4215642604.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2790378315.jpg
    image-2790378315.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 71
It's very difficult to tell from the pictures? Are you sure he has the antennae at all?

Wow, he looks like he may have a bad case of Fin Rot. I don't think his tail fin should be nearly that short.

If he has fin rot on his feelers (they are fins too) then he could be babying them.

Hmm, I guess I was wrong - it's definitely a gourami but I think you got duped on the "blue" part.

He looks like a standard "Dwarf Gourami" - and they appear to have fins that naturally look a bit brown on the edges.

244272.jpg

Colisa lalia "Dwarf Gourami" | Gouramis & Anabatids | Freshwater Fish | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com

I would have to disagree. I have a dwarf gourami and he looks nothing like it.

I don't think he has fin rot.. But I will check it out and I will try and get a better picture of him too.. Thank you guys for all your help! :)

My dwarf Gourmi's look just like that fellow. I've seen other colors among dwarfs, however, but that's the one that the "Big box" pet stores generally just mark "Dwarf Gourmi".

My dwarf Gourmi's look just like that fellow. I've seen other colors among dwarfs, however, but that's the one that the "Big box" pet stores generally just mark "Dwarf Gourmi".

Your dwarf gourami looks like the picture of the dwarf gourami, or the picture of the OP's sick gourami?

Back
Top Bottom