I don't know how to siphon my gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Listen, I know this is a stupid question.

Will someone please tell me how to start a siphon? I am having a very hard time vacuuming my gravel. I am trying to submerge the entire siphon and squeeze out the air bubbles to get it to start. Sometimes this takes multiple tries, I'm standing there for twenty minutes or more, I get water everywhere, and with my smaller tanks I usually just give up. I don't have a python- its just a regular siphon.

There has to be an easier way- but I'm sure not sucking on that thing with my mouth and I can't figure out what else to do. Will someone please help?

I'd recommend picking up a self starting gravel vac. With a few up and down motions in the aquarium the siphon starts up and you can vacuum away. I've got the mini one of these and it works great on my small aquariums.

I would agree with Purrbox as far as a self starting one goes. If you have multiple tanks a python is a lifesaver. You can DIY one really easily.

I would agree with Purrbox as far as a self starting one goes. If you have multiple tanks a python is a lifesaver. You can DIY one really easily.

I don't know. It will probably be a good idea to get a python eventually, but I am already shelling out a lot of money for pets over the next few weeks, and I'm trying to go easy on my budget. If I don't get one before the next pwc, which I probably won't, what can I do in the meantime?

If you can't get one or build one, then skip the gravel vac and do a larger pwc. I will provide a link for a DIY python, perhaps you can build yours before the next pwc. DIY Python

Sarah, an easy way to get the siphon hose filled with water is to slowly submerge the entire hose starting with the end you will leave in the tank. If it is very long, you may have to coil it as you go, always keeping the first end under the surface so no bubbles get in. When you get to the other end and the hose is almost completely submerged, put a finger over the hole or clamp the hose and draw it back out. You could also use a small cork or rubber stopper. Now you have a full hose with one end in the water and the other end capped in your hand. Release the stream when you have it over the recepticle.

Alternately, you could fill the hose at a faucet, then carry the full hose to the aquarium and place one end into the tank. If you have your finger over the other end and you keep it below the level of the tank water, none of the tap water will enter the aquarium.

I have a python but I find it more convenient to syphon into a bucket for my small aquarium. When the bucket is filled I stop the end of the hose with my finger and place it in the aquarium so it does not get any air bubbles inside. Then I fish it out again after I empty the bucket. Just be careful that one end doesn't fall out of the tank when you turn your back. What a mess that was!

Because of the chemicals in my tap water I always buy RO water at my LFS for fills. The method above also works for filling the aquarium and is a lot neater than trying to pour water out of a 5-gallon jug.

A self-priming hose is okay, but I think you will be disappointed with it in the long run. It is very slow running and has a small diameter at the flapper. If you need speed and convenience, nothing beats a python.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you, that does help. I will try the sink thing. I really appreciate the advice!

This is really embarrassing, but I'm not really sure how a python works. I think someone explained it to me once before, but I can't quite recall...do you connect one end to your faucet? How do you do that? Don't you need to dechlorinate the water before it goes into the tank, won't putting it straight in kill your fish? And my tank is is on the opposite side of the apartment from my kitchen, so how would that work? Plus how do you use it to empty the tank? If you have to siphon the water out, wouldn't you have to stand by the tank, and wouldn't the water coming out the other end overflow your toilet because you wouldn't be there to flush it?

I have to lug about twenty gallons of water and to and fro when I clean my three tanks, I just got a third (10 gallon) tank, and I'm contemplating getting a fourth (trying to talk myself into it, lol) If there is an easier way, it would be great, but I just dont' get this python thing.

A python is too big for a 10 gallon. I know - I tried one and it was just too cumbersome. Maybe you could make one that would work - the principle would be the same - but the version for sale in the stores is IMO too big for a 10 gallon.

I use a regular gravel vac in my 10 gallon. Clip the hose end into a bucket, or at least tape it so it doesn't go flying around and spraying water over the room. Submerge the hard vac end in your tank and let the air out. Keep the vac end under water until all the air is out. Don't worry about the rest of the hose at this point. Then lift the vac up slowly and vertically, up and out of the water. You'll see the water flow down the vac and it will continue to flow down the hose. (this is why you want your hose end secured in the bucket) Quickly submerge the vac again before all the water leaves it and you lose the siphon. Turn the vac end down to the gravel and you'll begin to see debris being sucked up. It may take a few times of practice to get the siphon going.

python

A python is a lifesaver... On most sinks, there is a small screw-off thingy <technical term there> that you have to take off, maybe with pliers or similar tool. The Python then screws into the place of the thingy. So you end up with a long green thing hanging down from your faucet. You attach the tube to the part attached to the faucet and stick the other end (the gravel vac) in the tank (it helps to have someone hold it there but you can brace it to stay maybe with the lid).

The part attached to the sink has a valve on the bottom. You can turn the water on and it will run straight down through the part you attached to the sink. This will cause a vacuum and will essentially suck the water out of the tank through the tube into the sink.

When you have the tank drained to where you want it you close the valve on the bottom of the part attached to the sing. This will force the water back through the tube and into the tank.

It might sound complicated but I used to HATE doing water changes as it was messy and took a long time - used to do it about once a month maybe... often less than that! Now I can do it every week in a 55 gallon tank and it takes me about 15 minutes tops.

I will say though that a 10 gallon tank is a bit small to get the full value out of a python... you'll end up with about one gallon just filling the tube from the tank to the sink!

As to your question about the tank being on the other side of the house/room, the package come with a 25 foot hose but you can buy an adapter/extender to make it longer.

Now for a siphon, if the tube and gravel vac part are clear, I used to just stick the vac part in the tank, then lower the other end below the tank over the bucket. I then give a strong 1 to 1.5 second suck on the tube watching the water in the tube. Once the water gets over the rim and starts to come down, you're done - pull it out of your mouth and stick it in the bucket. I've NEVER gotten any fish water in my mouth... as long as you watch the water, you'll be fine...

Hope that helps!

What are the sizes of all three of your tanks? I have used a python on 10 gal tanks but that is when I am doing multiple tank changes so it is not anymore difficult.

Don't you need to dechlorinate the water before it goes into the tank, won't putting it straight in kill your fish?
You add the dechlorinator directly to the aquarium before filling. Make sure to add enough to treat the entire aquarium instead of just the amount of water being replaced.

If you have to siphon the water out, wouldn't you have to stand by the tank, and wouldn't the water coming out the other end overflow your toilet because you wouldn't be there to flush it?
The water goes down the sink rather than the toilet, so unless it clogs you shouldn't have to worry about overflow. However unless you fill a toilet too fast it won't overflow either, the water level will automatically go down once a certain level is reached.

I actually use the smallest of the self starting gravel vacs that I linked on my 10 gallon aquarium. I appreciate the slower flow as it gives me more time to thoroughly clean the gravel and descreases my chances of accidently catching one of the shrimp with it. If you've got larger/faster fish then one of the next steps up would speed up your water changes without much added expense. This would also be less expensive than a Python if you're not sure that you need one yet.

If you have to siphon the water out, wouldn't you have to stand by the tank, and wouldn't the water coming out the other end overflow your toilet because you wouldn't be there to flush it?

The toilet has its own internal siphon so you can dump as much water in it as you want & it won't overflow (no need to flush!), everything simply drains out the other end.

A python uses running water (from your tap) to create a suction to move water up hill. It wastes a lot of water tho. However, if you can arrange it so the python outlet is lower than your tank, you can start the water flowing out your tank the usual way, then shut off your tap & do the rest of your gravel vac using the python just like a regular siphon.

I do something simplier: I use a siphon to drain water out of my tank, but out a window into my flower bed, then fill with a hose directly from the tap. NO buckets! During filling, you add your dechlor to the tank the same time you add your water to treat it.

I have one 29 gallon tank and two five gallon tanks. I am assuming a python would be much too big for the little ones. Since I usually only change three gallons of water per small tank each time, I don't mind carrying the water to and fro.

But the gravel really, really needs vacuuming in the little tanks. The water turns brown and clouded with gunk when I disturb the gravel bed. It is definitely a problem. It absolutely must be cleaned, and I need to be able to start that siphon. I'm not using my mouth, that is just too gross.

I will have to try filling up the siphon in the sink. I do my pwcs on Saturday so I'll have to see if I can make it work.

The 29 gallon is a real pain to clean, lugging 10 gallons of water too and from the bathroom and then another 10 to and from the kitchen.

Also, I just bought a ten gallon tank which I have yet to set up.

A 55 gallon is in the works. I will have to get the python then, I'm sure.

I've had annoying problems with siphons. Make sure everything is air/water tight on your siphon (where things connect). One way that works is to fill the entire siphon with water from the sink or tub, and hold your thumb over one end and your finger over the other, then submerge the big end (with your thumb on it) into the water and then let go of the ends. This should make the water from the tub leave through the bottom of the siphon, thus sucking up your tank water into the large end.

I just recently learned how to use a siphon and the technique that works for me is to submerge the large end in the aquarium and then use a turkey baster on the small end to suction the water through the tube and get the flow going. I position the tube over the bucket so I can quickly drop it in the bucket once the water is moving. (Of course, this is the turkey baster reserved for aquarium use.) Simple, easy and you don't have to buy anything new!

:silly: Did no one ever siphon gas from cars as kids? :silly:

Python-Shmython ..

As the crew used to say, you only get a mouthfull once.. then you learn.

Low tech in a high tech world

Ahhhhh the memories

Yup, watch the hose, you only need the hose filled up such that when it hangs over the side of the tank the water level in the tank is higher than the lowest level of the water in the hose and it will create a syphon...but my kids always think I am planning to drink the tank water.

Here's a REALLY easy way to start a siphon with a gravel vac.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I did it once, and never forgot.

Here's the method:

1) Hold the small end of the tube a foot or two above the water level in the tank.

2) Dunk the big end of the gravel vac into the tank, like a cup, scooping up water.

3) Lift the big end out of the tank water, but keep it below the small end of the tube. (If you lift it above the small end, the water will drain out and spill everywhere.)

3) SLOWLY lower the small end of the siphon. Water will flow out of the "cup" and into the tube. Your goal is to fill the whole tube with water.

4) When the water reaches the small opening of the tube, clamp your thumb down! (Again, this prevents water from spilling all over your floor.)

5) Lower the small end toward/into your bucket. Make sure that the small end is below the water level of the tank, or no siphon will be established. Keep that tumb clamped!

6) With the opening still pointing UP, put the big end back into the tank. You want water rushing over the edge and into your "cup," so that no air gets into the tube.

7) Make sure that the big end is completely submerged. At this point, you can point the big end down, and into the gravel.

8) Unclamp your thumb, opening the small end of the tube. Congratulations, you're siphoning!

Advantages:
  • No mouthful of water
  • No coiling underwater
    • No chasing air bubbles
    • No scaring fish
    • No bumping and ruining your aquascape/decorations
    • No problems fitting your entire tube into a 10 gallon tank
  • No running from your sink to your tank with a dripping tube full of water
Hope this helps!

-Drew

Back
Top Bottom