I exploded a heater today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was doing a water change in a hurry and forgot to unplug or even turn down the heater. So of course when I start refilling the tank I hear major sizzling and then crack, crack, crack, crack 8O 8O 8O

I quickly unplugged the heater (too late I know) and then looked at my fish to see if they looked all electrocuted. They didn't thankfully :lol: I guess they aren't grounded so they can't get electrocuted???

Once it stopped sizzling ( a few minutes after being unplugged) I tried to take it out of the tank. However in the process of trying to get the suction cups off the glass the whole thing fell apart into bits and shards that fell to the bottem. Meanwhile some of the fish are checking this out with great interest so of course I stressed that some of them were going to eat or cut themselves on the glass before I got it all out.

Anyway it seems I got all the glass out. I finished refilling the tank and everything seems fine. Now I just need to go out and buy a new heater cause I'm such a moron!!!!!!!! I will never again try to do a quick water change when I'm rushing around with a million things to do!

When you replace the heater, look for the Visi-therm Stealth. They won't break like glass and can be removed from the water without a problem.

Fishyfanatic said:
When you replace the heater, look for the Visi-therm Stealth. They won't break like glass and can be removed from the water without a problem.
I second the vote for the Stealth. Great heater and it won't break!

Been there, done that. Don't feel too bad, its inevitable that we all destroy a heater this way, or just by banging it against the tank wall, a rock, etc.

Aside from the stealth (visitherm is a good brand in general) many heaters like the Ebo Jagers have an auto-shutoff, and won't get so hot as to explode in your situation.

You've obviously been doing this longer than I, but...

I placed my heater horizontally about 4-5 inches above the substrate. Therefore my heater is still completely submerged during water changes. Also, I make sure the temperature of the incoming water is as close as possible to that of the tank water. These two facts make it unecessary to unplug my heater during water changes. I'm sure you've thought of that already, but just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Well I bought a visi therm stealth heater last night. It is completely submersible, my other heater wasn't so I couldn't place it at a deeper level. Anyway the new heater also has an automatic shut off valve too. So hopefullyl I won't be exploding another heater in the future. I'm actually surprised I made it so long without exploding one previously.

LOL I think we have all had a heater break at one point in time or another. Heck, I broke mine for the 55 gal tank before the fish were even in it. :) I hit it with the driftwood and it shattered. That's when the first Stealth was purchased.

Back
Top Bottom