I feel horrible after hearing this "horror" tank setup :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just want to voice myself, I can't keep this story in. My cousin has received a present from her boyfriend. Its a fish tank with some fish. This fish tank is 5 gallons..... i don't even KNOOWWW WHERE to start!!! It contains an angle fish(full grown), bala shark, another shark, a blue African (i am thinking a cichlid) and a ping pong goldfish..... i don't even know where to begin. They put them all in i assume today and didn't cycle as the tank has bubbles on the walls like it would after being. This males me sooooo ANGRY!! Why? A 5 gallon????? I don't get it... i have explained that goldfish do not go with any tropical fish of any kind but she just brushed it off.... :( that's not even enough room for a goldfish!! How do i tell her? :/

Tell her in simple words that the fish WILL die in that tank. Other than that there is nothing you can do.

I just want to voice myself, I can't keep this story in. My cousin has received a present from her boyfriend. Its a fish tank with some fish. This fish tank is 5 gallons..... i don't even KNOOWWW WHERE to start!!! It contains an angle fish(full grown), bala shark, another shark, a blue African (i am thinking a cichlid) and a ping pong goldfish..... i don't even know where to begin. They put them all in i assume today and didn't cycle as the tank has bubbles on the walls like it would after being. This males me sooooo ANGRY!! Why? A 5 gallon????? I don't get it... i have explained that goldfish do not go with any tropical fish of any kind but she just brushed it off.... :( that's not even enough room for a goldfish!! How do i tell her? :/

Put the African into a tupperware container for the night and going to bring him back in the morning if he lives she said.

Even then, the tank is way over stocked. Have her return the fish and get a betta.

Haha hello scottyhorse! She isn't about to do that. I told her the cichlid needs heat and oxygen.. she said he has heat and oxygen and that everything is fine... but he's in a small tupperware container. I asked if the 5g was cycled and she said yes.... she doesn't know what cycled is i don't think

Haha hello scottyhorse! She isn't about to do that. I told her the cichlid needs heat and oxygen.. she said he has heat and oxygen and that everything is fine... but he's in a small tupperware container. I asked if the 5g was cycled and she said yes.... she doesn't know what cycled is i don't think

Hehe hi Mariah :)

That is sad about her fish... I don't know what do to. Maybe ask her to read this thread?

Hehe hi Mariah :)

That is sad about her fish... I don't know what do to. Maybe ask her to read this thread?

Haha!! I was thinking about that but i sound way to mean... she will take it the wrong way. I sent a message to her saying that i was sorry and didn't mean to ask so many questions but i know what will happen and i have learned dos and donts... all she said was its okay

That's difficult.

It's one thing if it's just ignorance, that could happen to anyone. But being resistant to help and advice from a more experienced person when that means that living creatures suffer - that's not so cool.

Thing is there is probably very little you can do. If you've told her the facts, now it's up to her and it doesn't sound as though she's interested in listening to reason. :(

Most likely scenario is that she will learn the lesson at the expense of the fish's lives :(

All you can do is offer to help. If they resist, then you're out of luck.

I am sure there are thousands upon thousands of improperly setup aquariums. As long as we do our part for a healthy hobby and spread the word, we shouldn't stress about what others do.

One of 2 things is going to happen.
1) her tank will go against all odds and the fish will survive. They will not live a full live but will survive long enough to satisfy your cousin. This is inlikely but it does sometimes happen.
2) in a week all the fish will be dead. At this point she will either try and repeat the whole thing or get some halfway decent advice and take it. This is the most likely scenario.

Stuff like this happens. When it comes down to it these are fish and a fish will never be more important than a relationship. Just remember that.

One of 2 things is going to happen.
1) her tank will go against all odds and the fish will survive. They will not live a full live but will survive long enough to satisfy your cousin. This is inlikely but it does sometimes happen.
2) in a week all the fish will be dead. At this point she will either try and repeat the whole thing or get some halfway decent advice and take it. This is the most likely scenario.

Stuff like this happens. When it comes down to it these are fish and a fish will never be more important than a relationship. Just remember that.

I wanted to ask her more questions but i knew i was making her mad. Its her xmas present and i didn't really have anything nice to say about it :/ its just frustrating how people do whatever... when i was first starting sure i wasn't as smart with fish like i am now... but i researched fish before i got them and have always put them in the right size tank. She also has a turtle that is in a small like 20g and its almost full grown. Also put a catfish thing in there.. i don't remember the name but i looked it up and it gets 4 foot and its from a river. She ignored me on that one also. As far as i know that fish is dead. The pet stores shouldn't even sell anything smaller then a 10g IMO! Also.. while adding the cat fish thing to the turtle tank it stopped breathing because the turtle tank was ice cold water... so her bf started dumping hot water into the tank and grabbed the fish and shook it to make it breath... just stupid things like that. It irritates me. Fish stores just sell to anyone!!! :/

I wanted to ask her more questions but i knew i was making her mad. Its her xmas present and i didn't really have anything nice to say about it :/ its just frustrating how people do whatever... when i was first starting sure i wasn't as smart with fish like i am now... but i researched fish before i got them and have always put them in the right size tank. She also has a turtle that is in a small like 20g and its almost full grown. Also put a catfish thing in there.. i don't remember the name but i looked it up and it gets 4 foot and its from a river. She ignored me on that one also. As far as i know that fish is dead. The pet stores shouldn't even sell anything smaller then a 10g IMO! Also.. while adding the cat fish thing to the turtle tank it stopped breathing because the turtle tank was ice cold water... so her bf started dumping hot water into the tank and grabbed the fish and shook it to make it breath... just stupid things like that. It irritates me. Fish stores just sell to anyone!!! :/

That is dangerous territorry. Several ofnus enjoy tanks under 10 gallons. And alot of fish are perfectly suitable for a 5 gallon tank.
Fish stores will sell to anyone. Just like a dog breeder will sell a dog to anyonem difference is they give hetter advice generally. Pet stores should offer better advice true. That still wont stop all cases of fish neglect.
Even manufactuarers are causing issues. A picture of a fish tank on a box will show horrendous stocking. Glofish kits are sold in 3 gallon size yet none of the glofish species are suitable for anything less than 20 gallons.
It is irritating but we cant do anything about it so dont get to worked up over it. Its not worth it.

Don't feel bad. You tried for the better not for the worse. If your educated fish lore is dismissed what can you do. Bad advice is terrible, good advice is just that, good advice. Unfortunately the word is I'm afraid to say ignorance.
Killing fish is not considered animal cruelty, if it were the shop would never be allowed to make the sale in the first place.

Give her a guinea pig squashed in a tin can!

Maybe persistence could work but unfortunately you may stand to lose more than she will.

The sad thing is it could have been a lovely gift!:nono:

This just makes me sad. I could say a really lot of not nice things and if it was my friend/family member I would say a lot of not nice things. I did it to my sister in-law who I love after she stocked 3 balas and a bunch of other fish into a 37g, let alone the fact that she didn't cycle it. In the end the fish all died and now she is cycling the tank fishless. Mainly I said what I did to her because she knew better. But when you have some one that just won't listen all you can really do is Show her how excited for her you are and then tell her about this or another good forum. Maybe if she gets on and introduces herself maybe other can help her realize that their is a kinder way to treat her fish or you could just out do the boyfriend and buy her a bigger tank for Christmas.

I had a similar problem with my friend who had a betta in a bowl that was maybe half a gallon. I eventually got him to buy a tank. Rather than asking questions you should explain why keeping fish in an undersized tank is bad for the fish's health. Offer some other options like chili rasboras. In addition, you should take the time to explain the basics of fish keeping

I had a similar problem with my friend who had a betta in a bowl that was maybe half a gallon. I eventually got him to buy a tank. Rather than asking questions you should explain why keeping fish in an undersized tank is bad for the fish's health. Offer some other options like chili rasboras. In addition, you should take the time to explain the basics of fish keeping

You guys all have great ideas. I'm scared to bring it up in conversation with her again. She always takes things th wrong way it seems. I don't have money to be buying a tank for her. She live hours away from me and they can afford a bigger tank but don't think they need one. I did say you don't want them stunted but other then that i don't know what to say... maybe if one of you could type out NICELY what she should do? Like say with the stock (goldfish bala ) and what not... that it not good and they won't live? I wouldn't even know where to begin

Try look for a near by pet store that might accept them for credit. Tell not to release the fish. Explain that this is just like keeping a dog in one of those carriers used to take animals to the vet

Wow I do believe this is the worst stocking I have ever run on aqadvisor! You can send her this too. I didn't add in the other shark as I didn't know what kind it is.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor&
Warning: Bala Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Bala Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Angelfish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 6 inches.
Warning: Angelfish requires a tank with more height.
Warning: Goldfish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
[SIZE=-1]=> 71.6 - 82.4F: Bala Shark
=> 75.2 - 86F: Angelfish
=> 66.2 - 73.4F: Goldfish
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][Display in Celsius][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 968%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

You know.. it wouldn't be a bad idea to send her the link to that aqadvisor stocking. Best course of action imho.

Back
Top Bottom