I finally got new fish, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20 gal finally cycled so I moved my 8 danios, opaline gourami, and 3 serpae tetras over to the 20 gal. I left the two small CAEs in the 65 gal tank.

I went and bought a Auratus and a Blue Jewel cichlid.

Question: These are my first cichlids. I bought "Medium cichlid pellets". They dont seem to even notice them floating at the top. These guys are only about 2" big right now. Am I feeding them the right thing? Will they eventually notice the pellets? I only put like 5 pellets in. Am I supposed to be feeding them flakes instead?

#2: The CAEs seem to follow the Auratus around a lot. Is that normal and OK? They seem to be very interested in what she's doing.

Thanks

Those pellets are probably too large for the fish for now. Try flake for now, and frozen as well as live foods - the auratus is a carnivore and extremely aggressive, btw.

Also, as a juvie it will have female coloration but it could be a male. Don't know how it will do with the jewel, but provide plenty of rockwork. You probably already know these things and I apologize for answering more than what you asked!

yeah, those pellets are too big for them. I used flakes and also they sell granules as the major source of their diet when they were small. IME they won't eat medium sized pellets until they are over 4".

Back
Top Bottom