I found these worms on top of my aquarium this morning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xhuero3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I do not see them any where else in my tank, i checked my fish, i don't see anything hanging on them.. i checked my gravel nothing in it ( as far as i can see) and there is nothing on the side of the glass, i only see a few of these worms on the very top of the tank, out of the water... i don't see any actually in the tank in the water its self... i have a video but i can't upload , but there be pics attached take a look.. i check my water and everthing is fine i mean i have high NITRATE around 40 or 80ppm using FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT.. today is the day i do a water change and i saw them.

Attachments

• 20201127_100309.jpg
    20201127_100309.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201127_100422.jpg
    20201127_100422.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201127_103136.jpg
    20201127_103136.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 38
Worms

I am not an experienced fish keeper so please take other advice but those worms look like they could be either detritus worms or planaria worms.
Detritus worms are not harmful to your fish and they only eat waste and dead plants.
On the other hand planaria, worms can harm sick fish. I've read they usually try to get into your fish's gills (if they are unhealthy)
Usually, they are caused because of over-feeding or lack of water changes. (not implying that you are guilty of this)

I have some detritus worms on my tank glass (which is why I know all this info) and because there aren't too many and they are beneficial for your tank I haven't tried to get rid of them.
Personally, if I had planaria worms, I would get rid of them. One method is to use General Cure and do frequent water changes. Some people also use Panacur C (a dog dewormer).
I would do more research and try to identify what kind of worms they are and if you desire, research a way to get rid of them.

- Also please try to identify these worms yourself and don't take my word for I am, once again, not a very experienced fish keeper.
Thank you!

Good advice in the previous post. They look like detritus worms to me. Planaria have a distinctive triangular head. Do some googling yourself and look at images, though, because there's always a risk of error with pictures online.

Back
Top Bottom