I get to start over I am reaching out to the community for ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I finally moved into my new house today. Its been a minute since I been on the forum. I had a 55 gallon fresh tropical tank. I learned a lot from it. I have the space and stability to have a 90 gallon freshwater or bigger if I find a good deal. I get to restart from scratch. I am torn between set ups. If I describe what I want, how its going to be set up will some of you give me some suggestions, and ideas. Thank you.
1. I know I want fresh water with a sandy bottom.
2. Live plants and wood and large rocks
3. I am going to be using a canister filter maybe a sump. Leaning more to canister (suggestions I know everyone has their own opinion)
4. 3D background for tank

Now for the fun part, how would you set up the tank?
A few larger fish or a large group of smaller community fish or a cichlid tank?
I really like all three but I just don't know. I would hate to set it up and restart again. What would you choose.
If I don't end up with something extremely colorful I kind of like unique. Suggestions?
My wife said I am too picky about what I want. A Close friend of mine told me the reason I can't decide is because I don't know what I want.
Anyways, I would like thoughts and opinions if you all wouldn't mind. Thank you. Plan on buying everything next month. Will post pictures.

I would say a cichlid tank but they would probably uproot your plants unless you want the hassle of anchoring them all down. That also depends on how many plants you were putting in there too.

My favorite large unique fish are:
Ghost Knife but you need a bigger tank than 90g
Dragon Goby's but I think they need dark substrate. Somebody else could probably c/d that.
Some of the more rare Plecos have really nice colors

If you want colors, I think I would choose
Cardinal Tetras
Platys
Rummy Nose Tetras
Guppies

My favorites are
Blood Fin Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Black Neon Tetras

If you wanna get crazy with it and really add color you could do a female betta sorority. I've had one in the past and they're really fun to watch.

I am leaning really hard towards the cichlid set up as well. I can do with out the plants if need be. I just want something that is lively, colorful, and appealing to me, my wife, and children.
I would say a cichlid tank but they would probably uproot your plants unless you want the hassle of anchoring them all down. That also depends on how many plants you were putting in there too.

My favorite large unique fish are:
Ghost Knife but you need a bigger tank than 90g
Dragon Goby's but I think they need dark substrate. Somebody else could probably c/d that.
Some of the more rare Plecos have really nice colors

If you want colors, I think I would choose
Cardinal Tetras
Platys
Rummy Nose Tetras
Guppies

My favorites are
Blood Fin Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Black Neon Tetras

If you wanna get crazy with it and really add color you could do a female betta sorority. I've had one in the past and they're really fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom