I got a free 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I filled it with water and let it sit for a few days, I didn't notice any leaks, but it was outside, so I think I will bring it in the house and do another test. Some things I am worried about.. The plastic around the top and bottom of the tank is split in the middle, and on one corner I think. There is no silicone on the side seams inside the tank. And one of the side pieces of glass has a chip in it that is hanging on by silicone. I will try and post some pics, but I have been having trouble with that lately. So if its not leaking, would it be safe to put up, or should I go and buy another piece of glass and replace the chipped one?

I put up a free 15 gallon tank that has a crack in it, it's been up since May and it's been holding water just fine. Maybe just try it but make sure you don't stock it and have no where to put the fish jsut in case, that's what I'd do . Good luck!

Pics would be helpful. But as long as the tanks hold water and looks sturdy I would not suggest replacing glass. How big is the chip? Only if it is close to letting water through would I worry about it.

I will try and get down to the picture problem. I have some really good ones. But I think I will set it up in the tub and just leave it for a while.

Doesn't look great. You may consider resealing that chip from the inside to make sure it doesn't leak. I do not know that the sillicon may support this forever but it must be pretty small...

As far as no sealant on the seams...It must have some or it would leak.

I'd try and see what happens!

**PS~ Please do not come and take me to court if it leaks lol

lol, no worries! I am thinking I may tear it apart and use this as a good tank to practice resealing. I keep going back and forth between, I want a tank NOW, and ... yea I could wait. The chip in the side does not go all the way through, I'm just not sure.

I'm more concerned about the split plastic frames since this is really what holds the tank together. Combined with that deep chip, I personally wouldn't set it up as an aquarium. 29 gallons is ALOT of water to get on the floor! 8O

At least it was free. Perhaps you or someone you know could use the tank for reptiles or small mammals.

It seems to me you are risking a lot if you try to use this as an aquarium. Cracks in glass tend to spread as a result of temperature changes, increases in force (pressure), and time. All three of those things will happen when you set this up as an aquarium. Also, keep in mind that the pressure on the glass at the bottom of the tank is greater than the pressure on the glass at the top (you can think of it as there being a greater amount of water above it "pushing down").

You could have it set up and functioning fine for years, but over time the cracks will grow (even if it is so slow as to be unseen by the naked eye), then eventually one day you will be vacuuming your house and the little vibrations in the floor will be the straw that breaks the came's back--or in your case, that breaks the aquarium glass.

If you are dead set on making something aquatic out of this, I would fill it halfway and use it as a tank for amphibians or something like that.

Crack/chipped glass AND split frame sections should be a big warning sign that says, "Warning, this tank may have been abused in the past and may dump water on your floor any minute". In some cases, tank failure will happen in an instant, giving you no time to react until you have 29g of water on the floor. If anything, you could take apart the tank, replace any broken/chipped glass, and reseal the whole tank for practice along with installing new frames. By the time you did all of that, it would cost more than buying a new 29g.

It might hold water now, but I would not reccomend anyone stick fish in it. The cost of a possible accident is much larger than just purchasing another new tank. In my opinion ;)

Meghan, you're too funny. :wink:

My vote's also a "no" on filling the tank. because... 1) A 29 Gallon tank is not a terribly expensive item. 2) The damage of a leak or a flood can be potentially huge. 3) That crack looks mighty nasty. It looks like there are other cracks radiating from the big broken part. If it was a clean break with one small piece having been removed from the side, then I'd say yes. But that break is not clean, and could potentially spread when pressure is added.

That pic make me wonder just how many of Menagerie's posts are actually made by the gerbils after she goes to bed. :lol: :lol: :lol: After all, they are nocturnal, right? :D

ok, so I am definitely not going to use it for fish. My husband has expressed an interest in getting a lizard or some small reptile. Any thoughts on that?

Oh gosh. Those fuzzy critters are so cute! I would rather have a mouse or something, but if my cats got a hold of something so cute, I would cry!! So now I am def. looking into lizards. Thanks!!

Your cat may get a hold of a lizzard too. Our cat Josie has brought (among all the birds and small mammals) a snake to the door.

yea, my cat b.b is a GREAT snake catcher, but I don't think I would mind so much if she ate a lizard or some thing.

Back
Top Bottom