I got a new tank... but I dunno what size it is!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lymore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some sort of flatback hex tank, stand, and light for $50, woooo.

I was told its 29 gal... but I can't find anything about a 29 gal flatback hex... I was wondering, could it actually be 33 gal?

Or do 29 gal flatbacks exist?

I've been looking for some sort of measuring device since I posted this... I can't even find a ruler :p

Maybe my bf has a tape measure somewhere....

It could be a 33....a friend of mine had a 33 flatback hexagon tank about 20 years ago. I have no idea what the dimensions were but it was probably about 36" long, 12" wide and maybe 18-20" high.

Okay, here we go, my bf's brother found a tape measure (my hero lol):

The back side of it is 3ft

The front side is 10.5 in

The diagonal parts on the front are both 8.5 in

and the sides are both 7.25 in

Oh yea, and its 21 inches high

does a 29 gal flatback hex even exist? I haven't been able to find anything online.

oh, and the thickest part (from front to back) is a little over 12.5 in

lol, theres so many sides to measure!! Its not like a simple rectangular tank, with height, length and width

It may be a 26 gallon. I couldn't find an accurate calculator for flatback hex's LOL. There is a lot of information on the 26 gal.

I found an aquarium calculator for rectangular aquariums, and if the front just straight across it says it would be 40.91 gal

OK, I'll do the math:

It is actually not that difficult to calculate.

The foot print of the tank is:
(width x depth) - 2 triangular areas < And Area of the 2 triangles = [2 x 1/2 x] (depth - sides) x (width at back - width at front)/2 >

36 x 12.5 - (12.5-7.25)x(36-10.5)/2 = 450-67 = 383 sq in.

Volume is footprint x height:

383 x 21 = 8043 cu in = 34.8 gallons.

If you measured the outside of the tank, you will have to subtract the thickness of the glass & the gap at the bottom of the tank ... so it could be a 29.

Last edited:
Ohh yea, geometry. Lol... I only graduated last year, and I'm forgetting already.

Back
Top Bottom