I gotta down grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellawson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The last few weeks have been some what bitter sweet for me, we have brought my father in law home from the hospital..finally.. but in the process I had to clean out the extra room which is where I kept all my extra fish stuff (and I had a lot of it..lol) and I had to tear down my 75 gallon because it was in the "flight path" to the bathroom. I gave my 100 gallon to my nephew for his lizards and traded my 75 for a 55 (I was able to put it in the same place luckily it doesn't stick out like the 75) but now I feel like my poor fish are cramped. They all seem to be fine the one that I am really concerned about at the moment is my common pleco. I know I will need to rehome some of these guys and I'm willing to do so but I really really really hate to. I'm done with my sob story, my biggest question is is the 55 too small for my Jack Dempsey on one hand I'm thinking yes then on the other he doesn't seem uncomfortable but I might be fooling myself. So I am here for a reality check go ahead...break my heart.

Do you still have the oscar? Personally, I'd stick with the JD, hes going to be much happier in a 55g than an oscar. Definitely get the pleco out, and the loach too (assuming your my tanks info is correct)... if not disregard ;)

Well, welcome back! I haven't seen you on in quite a while. As for the tanks, I am so sorry to hear that you had to get rid of the 100 and 75 :( Unfortunately Mr. Pleco probably will need a new home... I wish you luck .

Yes I still have the oscar and the loach both are still small and the oscar has a home to go to in a few months but the loach bums me out I've really gotten to like him he's a hoot. Oh lord my poor fish....

I have read that clown loaches can get up to 16" but they take a long time to get there. Personally I have never seen one bigger than 4". I am probally over reacting I have just had so many visions of my tank hitting the ground...freaks me out a little.

I've personally never seen one larger than 5 inches myself but I'm sure there's exceptions.

How big is your JD right now and hod old is he? Ours are 2 1/2 ish now and have only reached 5 inches. Same with your CL? I figure LFS usually put them up for sale at about 6 mnths old (roughly)

I'm sorry for your troubles. I don't have anything to add but my lfs has an 8-10" clown loach (or did have one). Looks like that worm/snake thing from beatlejuice.

Clown Loaches grow slow and live a long time, give'em that time and a good home and you end up with this...

Attachments

• clown_loach_big.JPG
    clown_loach_big.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 40
Whoa!

Wonder what my 5 will look like in a few years in our 120 and after nibbling on brine shrimp, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and snails.

Well they won't hold still for me to measure and I suck at guestimating but the JD is maybe 5 1/2" about as long as my hand he's close to 2 yrs. old my clown loach is just about 2'' not big at all. And as far as the oscar goes he has a home waiting for him but Mr. Pleco finding him a home is gonna be rough I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom