I hate it when they eat each other.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dskidmore

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I just brought home some "algae eating shrimp" (exact species undetermined) and acclimated them to my water. I put the first one in the tank, and the angelfish gobbels him up. I try hiding the next few in the plants, but the freaked out shrimp promptly scoot out from under cover and are likewise gobbled. The last two are in the QT, awaiting thier fate.

I'm afraid the same fate awaits any small fish I bring home. I'm seriously considering trading the angelfish in. My other choice would be to go for all larger fish, but I really enjoy watching smaller schooling fish.

Yes angelfish are hard to keep with smaller fish, it can be done, but will take some experimenting.

Angels will eat anything they can get in thier mouths. i am sorry about your shrimp. Maybe a few nice snails?

Here is an option that might work. Grow the shrimp in the quarintine tank until they get really big. Ive had some grow almost an inch. Once the shrimp is large enough, add them to the tank. BUT, before you add, feed your angel till its had its fill.

like mentioned, angelfish will only eat what can fit into its mouth... so if you get smaller fish, if they are bigger than the mouth of your angel, they should be okay.

Also, lots of fish will eat shrimp, not just angels.

I'd say try rasbora's. At adult size the rasbora's should be just outside of snack range. From what I've seen myself, angels will swallow mouth sized fish, but they're pretty good judges of size, and if it's just a touch too big, they don't bite or harass most of the time. Of course fresh eggs will change any fishes behaviour.

put a whole bunch of shrimp in there at the same time. The angel will eat his fill and hopefully some will be left over and hide.

;) I'm mostly kidding.

Skyrmir said:
From what I've seen myself, angels will swallow mouth sized fish, but they're pretty good judges of size, and if it's just a touch too big, they don't bite or harass most of the time.
Mine is farily agressive towards other fish in the tank. I had the black skirt tetra in the QT for a few months, and when I returned him it took the Angel several days to start leaving him alone. Chased him all over the tank. Most of the time the angel just stakes out a corner and only gets agressive when the other fish are stupid enough to step over the borders.

Back
Top Bottom