I hate ugf!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just removed my UGF.... my tank is a mess and all my fish are in a 5 gallon bucket. I hated removing it but now it is gone I am happy! Thank you to everyone that told me to get rid of it! It was a good idea. BTW my nitrates have already halfed in the 2 hours of it being gone! (My nitrates were a wopping 160 pom!)

:eek: They jumped from 80 to 160ppm? Not good. Happy to hear that you were able to get them back down, (and fast, too!)! Nice work! (y)

Now for the fun stuff... cleaning up the tank. Oh, joy, huh? :rolleyes:

The tank for the most part is clean (a little cloudy) when should I put my fish back in he tank (they do not like the 5 gallon bucket, 2 have jumped out) (I was able to save them)

I don't see why you can't place them back now. However, if the temp of the water in the bucket isn't close to the temp of the water in your tank, they may go into shock. If you have any bags, (from the LFS when you got the fish), you can acclimate them again to be on the safe side.

In the interim, if you have a colander, you can place this over the bucket so they won't jump out. I would suggest placing it dome-up that way if there's anything on the colander it won't get in the water.

Edit: A bacon screen would work too, but unless it's completely free of grease, I wouldn't use it.

The fish are ok now as far as jumping. But do you think I dare leave them in there over night I have a heater in it and air bubbles?

The water between the two tanks might be +-2 degrees is this too much to just put all the fish in the tank without accumulating?

The fish are ok now as far as jumping. But do you think I dare leave them in there over night I have a heater in it and air bubbles?

I wouldn't. Only because they might start jumping again. If your tank still has the heater going, check the water temp between the two. If it's close, you should be ok to start netting your fish and placing them back in the tank. Just be sure to keep an eye on them for an hour or so to make sure that they adjust back to the tank ok.

The water between the two tanks might be +-2 degrees is this too much to just put all the fish in the tank without accumulating?

I don't think 2 degrees would be too dangerous for them. I would probably try placing one fish in, watch it for a few minutes, then repeat this for each of your fish.

All of the fish seem to be happy back in there old home! Except for one of my anglefish seems a little weak :(
I need to go to bed now it is 12:30 here in Utah. Thanks for your help!

All of the fish seem to be happy back in there old home! Except for one of my anglefish seems a little weak :(
I need to go to bed now it is 12:30 here in Utah. Thanks for your help!

That's great to hear! I'm sure your Angelfish was probably so cramped in that bucket and it's taking a while for it to adjust back to the tank size. I'm sure you're really exhausted. Be sure to do a head-count in the morning and make sure they're doing ok. Please keep me posted on how they're doing.

Have a good night!

Oh and if I dream of fish jumping out of a bucket... I'm blaming you! :D

The head count is good! BTW we got a foot of snow.last night in SLC!

Sorry I didn't login earlier to reply, (I did lurk your thread though to see an update lol). I'm glad they're doing well! :D

A foot of snow?! GEEZ!! :nono: No snow here, but it has been a bit chilly and really windy! Crazy weather!!

Hi! I am curious...were you running the UGF with a powerhead, or an air pump? And what size gravel were you using? I actually really like UGFs, but have found that they only work well with a good powerhead and the right size of gravel.

I am trying to figure out what the differences are between people who use a UGF successfully, and people who who don't.

Hi! I am curious...were you running the UGF with a powerhead, or an air pump? And what size gravel were you using? I actually really like UGFs, but have found that they only work well with a good powerhead and the right size of gravel.

I am trying to figure out what the differences are between people who use a UGF successfully, and people who who don't.
sorry it has been almost a month. I ran the UGF with just a air stone, and the gravel is about 8 mm

UGF might be okay for minimal bio-load management, say for a shrimp/snail tank (ooohh, I typed that word... sn....l !) around 5g, but really to get the best water condition surely it's better to have the 'mechanics' dealt with outside the main water mass. I have had UGF (first tank, 5g with powerhead) and it was discarded within 2 months in favour of an in-tank powerhead with sponge filter cartridge. At least then, I could remove the cartridge during PWC and clean it a bit. Moving to a bigger tank, the overhead filter method was better all round and is IMO the best system as it aerates water and draws waste off the main water mass to an easy-to-access overhead tray. Cleaning is a breeze and water condition is tops.

I will say that I had a UGF in a 10 gallon tank... and I loved it. That is why I tryed one in my 40 gallon. It would have worked MUCH better if I had a powerhead. I agree if you have it set up correct then it can work well. But mine was not set up correct.

Back
Top Bottom