I have $75 bucks, and I want a couple of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a hypothetical question. I spend a small fortune on this hobby. However, most people start and end the fish project this way. A kid asks for a fish, mom/dad buys a terrible starter kit, things go to hell and they throw the kit away 2 months later with a lot of tears along the way.

What is the most low budget, easy suggestion, to give a beginner?

if a kid wants a fish let him work for it. make him do odd chores here and there and pay him until he eventually has enough to buy it or give him allowance to save up for it that way you know he is motivated and will at least learn how to take care of a pet . or when he has saved enough he might decide to go on to the next thing .

Make sure the kid knows what he's getting into and does his research. If there not ready to do the hard work then they can move on to something else

Good, then you understand why unsolicited parenting advice wasn't the question. The question was "What is a low cost easy tank rig for beginners?"

As for low cost tank set up, I know Petsmart was running a special on a 10 gallon with hood and light for $30, not sure if it's still going. It did not come with a filter, but that allows you to use what ever filter you want rather than the way to small ones included in most the kits.

When I was married my step daughter wanted a tank. I had 3 running at the time and told her I would be happy to help her set one up, but she had to know what she wanted and how to take care of it properly first. She was 7 at the time. We first went to the pet shop and she wrote down the names of the fish she liked best. We went home a read about the different types. She narrowed it down to Glofish pretty quickly. She knew exactly what size tank she needed, how to do a water change, and how much to feed the fish. I trusted her with my fish more than her father! Unfortunately her dad and I split before we could get her tank established.

This just goes to show that with proper guidance children CAN learn whatever they set their minds too. If you want your kids to have a tank, help them learn. It will bring you all closer together and you know that you are teaching them right from the start so your tank doesn't end in tears.

Not that I have a ton of fish experience but Craigslist is where I started. Pretty much anything you could want for a good price can be found there. Sometimes you can find a complete set up:tank, gravel, filter, gravel vacuum, air pump, and stand for one low price. I would start there if it were me. Good luck.

Agreed, I think that's solid advice. I shouldn't have mentioned kids. It derailed my theme. It breaks my heart to see these crap small rigs at Walmart that I know will be impossible for a beginner to manage. I'd like to have a one paragraph pitch to give to newbies so the project doesn't end in failure.

Agreed, I think that's solid advice. I shouldn't have mentioned kids. It derailed my theme. It breaks my heart to see these crap small rigs at Walmart that I know will be impossible for a beginner to manage. I'd like to have a one paragraph pitch to give to newbies so the project doesn't end in failure.

Agreed. Just as an FYI: if u do go to Craigslist ask for dimensions so you can enter them into a dimensions to gallon calculator on the internet. I recent just found out I had bought a 46 gallon not a 55 gallon. Some people don't know what they have.

I'd keep an eye out for Petco's $1-per-gallon sale and pick up a 20 gal long (a cheap, good size for an easy community tank). Throw in a AC50 and a heater from Amazon and you'd prob be around $60-70 with good equipment. You could then do a bag of pool filter sand or pea gravel from your local Lowe's/Home Depot ($5) for substrate and maybe some locally collect stones and driftwood for decor. Your lighting would depend on whether or not you want to go planted.

I also recommend watching Craigslist for good local deals.

Yeah, I read your thread. For you that sucks, but in the grand scheme of things that's a manageable problem.

I listened to a Mejier employee while he told me I could put 15 Danios in a 3 gallon tank. I wanted to slap him. That's the kind of advice though a lot of people get. We need to put together a simple plan to counter that kind of BS.

Yah I'd go to Craigslist, I got a 55 gallon with everything I needed for 75$.

I picked up a 3 gallon for $25 from craigslist that I use as a fry tank. The guy gave me all kinds of extra food, chem, and decor I didn't expect. My daughter loved the "surprise" decorations.

Craigslist! I am all about the craigslist! I am actually in that situation right now. I am setting up 2 new tanks for my kids for Christmas. So I am slowly working on the set ups. Unfortunately they all want planted tanks! But having my own miss steps going way to cheap with my first tank and then ending up having to spend a ton of money to get the right stuff. So I would tell my kids that if they want to do it then I would have them buy what they could and then have them save the money and buy it in steps with their allowance money that they have to save. My kids only get an allowance if they do their work. So first wait until Petco runs the dollar a gallon tank sale Pick up the largest tank you can get for the money so probably a 29g tank then we would build the stand that can be done for around 25-30. My kids are lucky and I already have the dirt and laterite for the base and a 50lb thing of black blasting sand, test kits a huge bottle of prime. I also have cycled filters for the tanks already so we don't need those an okay heater for around $25 and a $3 thermometer. That brings you to $81.00. The real killer is the lighting The cheapest good plant lights are going to be $70. That's where I would make them save the money. But while I can do it I don't think that most kids unless their parents are fish crazy would be able to pull it off quite the way that I am. But starting with little to no knowledge I really don't think it can be done unless you are looking at a 5g betta tank with plastic plants.

So the first sentence of the newbie speech should be:

"Hit craigslist, and get something 20 Gallon or bigger."

The next question is: "What kind of fish?"

Not goldfish worlds biggest mistake noobs make is getting goldfish that are filthy! I would say an attractive fish that won't reproduce in nothing flat would be and cheap would be rasboras, tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, cory cats, and dwarf gouramis

I'm with ya on the goldfish.

Good suggestions all around, why are we advising against fish that breed? That's kind of neat for the beginner. Platies, and guppies are fun to watch breed.

I'm hot into Danios, but that's my own crazy. Hardy little buggers though. I spilled a beer into a fry bucket and they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom