I have a Bully in my tank help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
last night i found one of my ottos dead he had the bottom missing, not sure if he just dead before the safe week and then got tagged by another fish or my crab or got killed that way from another fish or my cab. today I notice on a guppy part of fin missing and on another one almost all. a few days ago I found one guppys fin missing in a shape of V thought it was the crab but now its pretty much almost all gone, could it be the leo fish? do fins grow back?

they do grow back provided it hasn't been taken off back to the flesh, if it's just a part of the actual fin, there is no need for concern.
I'd say it's definetly the crab preying on the fish while they sleep. would suggest a species only for the crab, or giving it a miss altogether if you haven't got room. Unless of course the fish are in there for live feed for the crab.

Matt.

no just holding back for a couple of weeks until i get my 55g one lol. you dont think it might be the Lporinus Fasciatus fish?

Its the crab... plain and simple.. Because they hunt and eat fish and will grab whatever their little claws can get to!!!

Ok.. i just was looking up some stuff about them:

"The Red Claw Crab usually does well with community fish, though it has been known to chase those who venture too close. On occasion, they have been known to catch and eat very small fish. They are lively and are often seen moving about their tanks. However, they will spend a lot of time hiding under rocks and plants. They should be kept singly, as they do display aggression to other Red Claw Crabs. Some state that you can keep females in groups or grouped with one male, but it is not certain whether or not they will display some territorial aggression as well. The Red Claw Crab makes a great pet. They are said to be better pets than the more popular Fiddler Crab. It has been reported that this species does significantly better in brackish water than in low salt freshwater tanks."

so i guess they need to be kept with fish that are bigger than them at least.

I wouldn't rule out the leporinus. They will definitely prey on fish much smaller than them. They are very opportunistic and will eat almost anything. This fish gets very large too. Best to give it its own tank with only fish that can handle themselves.

That's similar to what I went through recently...

I had an overfeeding problem that was resulting in too much algae growth, so I cut back the feeding a bit. I cut back too much though, as it turns out my lobsters aren't aggressive to other fish...as long as they are well fed. Sure enough, after about a week my favourite pleco was being eaten alive by a lobster that was able to catch it...a very expensive snack. I had to move her to another tank and throw out what was left of the pleco. And I haven't forgiven myself since, I knew all along not to underfeed your lobsters. Damn, damn, damn...

I tried a few days with peas and my crab just collects them and has a buffet with them. I'm getting a 60g tank you dont think what I have now in that 60g would be good with the leo fish?

First and foremost would be the crab .... but then again it could also be the Leporinus or the gourami that you keep. I have had Gourami become VERY mean in my tanks and hunt down very similar fish.

Back
Top Bottom