I have a few questions/concerns: Newly added neon tetras are fighting, and pH too hig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
After over a year of having my 20g with only a guppy and platy, I’ve finally decided to stock with a school of neon tetras. I started with 8 and sadly 2 died shortly after the addition (like overnight!), but the remaining 6 seem to be doing well after 2 days. However, today I noticed that instead of schooling together peacefully, they are attacking one another and a few are swimming frantically against the glass. I’m worried because they were doing so well just the past 2 days and I’m afraid they’re stressed and that I’m going to lose them all. I just checked my parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
pH 8
Nitrate <5

Temp remains around 78F

I recently added some Algaefix because I’m trying to fix my brown algae problem. I also notice the pH is always around 8 no matter what. Is this too high? I’m about to buy SeaChem Neutral Regulator pH Adjuster to fix my pH problem. Is this a good product? I live in an area with very hard water, is this contributing to the consistently high pH?

Any recommendations are appreciated. Here is a pic of my tank: IMG_2384.jpg

The Algae Fix is probably bothering the fish. Personally I would do a few pwc pretty quickly. And not use the Algae fix. Have heard many bad things even though it says safe, the msds indicates it is hazardous to aquatic life!

under hazard statement section
https://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/350...SVendors_2014_February_06_01-29-21-579_AM.pdf

Turn down the light power or reduce the length of time the light is on. Get a couple Snails, some Nerites could help with the Algae. After the bunch of pwc's are done to get that stuff out of the tank.

Fish act that way when conditions are bad in the water.

You could use RO water to change the pH, and reduce the hardness by using some RO. Or use RO and remineralize to a standard.

Thanks for responding! Sorry this may sound like a dumb question but what is RO water? Also seems you were right about the Algaefix, I read many online reviews about how it kills fish! I’ll have to look into getting snails, never had those before.

Back
Top Bottom