i have a Question about a little snail ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drprowant

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got some drift wood at the fish store today and i had the girl there knock off those little black snail's and when i put it in my tank two little black snail's fell off on to the floor and did not know if they were a hazardous to my tank i heard a long time back that the reproduce very fast and a a- sexual and they can take over your tank i just need some knowledge about them and if i should just take them out ? pleas help

they might eat your plants, depending on what kind they are...

more than likely they will breed and in 6 months there will be more snail than fish tank :D They also put more bioload in the tank.

The population varies of the snails on how you much you feed the tank. They aren't really a pest or reproduce as long as you don't over feed the tank. Im not sure what snail you got, do you have a pic?

i found the type of snail i got with some drift wood they got a free ride and i do not know if it is a good snail or a nuisance (Melanoides tuberculatus) scientific name pleas help

-----Derek

That is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail and they are good for the aquarium. If you have sand they stir it up and release gas pockets. I would personally leave them they also wont et you plants

ok thank you so much i did not know if they were good or bad you just put my mind to rest thank you

-----Derek

If you are sure it is a red-rim melania (Melanoides tuberculatus) is a nuisance, they have been known to carry parasites that can infect humans, They have also been known to carry parasites that kill endagered fish in texas.

I would get rid of him imedialty before he starts effecting you or your fish, Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling him.

The scientific name for Malaysian trumpet snails is Melanoides tuberculata not Melanoides tuberculatus. Make sure you have one or the other. MTS is fine in a aquarium, but red-rim melania is not.

Back
Top Bottom