I have ammonia in my tapwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I use Jungle Start Right to dechlorinate when I do my water changes. But I still read ammonia levels in the water levels even after being treated and left to sit for a few days. My tank is fully cycled. Is adding this water OK since the nitrites (i think that's the right one) will take care of it or is there another chmical to use. What about filtering the water with say a brita filter? Any suggestions?

It's probably chloramines that you're reading. I don't know about that jungle start right, but make sure it's a dechlorinator. If it's not, I'd recommend Prime.

It's probably chloramines that you're reading. I don't know about that jungle start right, but make sure it's a dechlorinator. If it's not, I'd recommend Prime.
"complete water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine"
that's what it says on the bottle.
btw, i've been following your 75g build. amazing craftsmanship (and by that i mean i could never do it) and your son is just adorable!

How much ammonia are your reading?

Most city use chloramine to disinfect the water. That is broken down to chlorine & ammonia with the dechlorinator. Both are bound & harmless, even though you can still read it in your ammonia test. <To get a true reading of free ammonia - which is harmful - you would need a salicylate test - commonly labled as salt water ammonia test.>

At any rate, the small amount of bound ammonia from breakdown of chloramines is quickly removed by your biofilter, so no need to worry. However, if you actually have free ammonia in your water - that is a different thing all togather.

Back
Top Bottom