I have had it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had it with the stupid hornwort! I just grabbed al of it out of my 20 gallon nursery tank and threw it all in the trash. I am soooo sick of vacuuming the gravel and never being able to to catch all of the stupid fallen needles! For now on any plants I buy will have big fat leaves that don't fall off littering my floor. Phew, I'm back now I just had to get that off of my chest :-D

thanks for the rant, now i know which plant not to buy when it's time to plant my tanks. what a pain!!

I thought I was being a good mom by buying it for my little newborn fry to eat, but it just started becoming a pain in the butt! Every time I vacuum thinking I did a great job once I finished the water change all of these stupid needles would appear out of thin water.

hornwort really is more of a pond plant. there other options out there that will work better i think.

I have milfoil in my tank (similar to hornwort in needle structure) and if kept healthy and more importantly to a minimum it's not so bad. But I basically got rid of my wisteria because it was such a fast grower it required constant pruning and if I neglected a feeding would cause deficiency in the other plants. I ended up chucking it completely and have since tried to keep slower growing plants, but in a high-light tank with CO2/ferts even "slow-growers" require regular pruning. Probably why anubias is one of my favorite plants. Looks wonderful and acts as a decoration instead of a plant due to its tremendously snail-like growth. :)

I did the same thing with various needle like plants. I decided to go with leafy plants because with my high light/co2/ferts the tops would grow so fast the bottom would be shaded and the needles would start to fall. It was a never ending battle so I trashed them all.

Back
Top Bottom