I just bought 2 zebra danios for my 19 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought 2 zebra danios for my 19 gallon and I used to have 1 ( had 6 but 5 died over 4 years). So I had 1 and now bought two that one was alone ( the only fish in he tank) but now the other 2 are troubling him and I think are trying to bite his fin:(. Please help what to do!? I tried to get 6 but the pet store only had 2 so I got those buggers. Why are they troubling the old one?:(. What must i do?

Danios can be nasty, which is why a larger school is recommended to spread out the aggression. If you can't get more any time soon, you can try to redecorate your tank so there are lots of hiding places or you can return the new fish until the store has a full school available.

Having had them before, I would say at least 8.

But what size tank and what else is in there?

They seem to be leaving him alone but he's totally ignoring them. They just chase the poor guy around all day. How do u tell the sexes? Maybe they want to breed or sumthing. I feel bad now for him. They chase him around (mostly 1. The other one minds his own business) and that one tries to like bite him:(

Don't forget that every time you introduce a new fish to the tank, all of the fish need to re-establish their hierarchy. This is normal.

Nothing else is there. They All died in like 5 years. Its a 8 gallon biorb. My 19 gallon cracked :rolling eyes:

I know u cant keep em there but the previous ones lasted 5 years n 1 is still going

The biorb tanks aren't really good for much. There's just not enough swimming room. In my opinion, you should not have danios in there. You certainly couldn't have the school that they require. Sorry. :(

LyndaB said:
Don't forget that every time you introduce a new fish to the tank, all of the fish need to re-establish their hierarchy. This is normal.

It was worse when they came. I think you're right :). Ill update u tomorrow if they're still being civil toward each other and then will separate them if they are. They seem to be fighting a bit less than about 2 hours ago so maybe itl be fine. But I will try to get more zebras asap. Il update u tomorrow. Thanks:phew:

LyndaB said:
The biorb tanks aren't really good for much. There's just not enough swimming room. In my opinion, you should not have danios in there. You certainly couldn't have the school that they require. Sorry. :(

I'm getting a new 30 gallon next year but the biorbs a backup from my old one. I know they can't be here but they've been ok so il just try to get 3 more danios n see if they school together

LyndaB said:
Please be sure to read my last post. We must've been typing at the same time.

I know it's mean but theyl beok for a year. If theres 6 will it work n will they school?

No, it won't be okay. For a year? You'll be lucky if one danio survives. It's just too small of an environment.

Ultimately, it's your choice. But if it were my tank, I wouldn't do it.

Il try for sooner :( but I don't want to be mean to them I know its mean. Now I just saw the new bugger biting the others fin!? Should I separate them and /or treat the bitten one in my " medical tank" (5gallon for emergencies)?

I'm afraid I can't offer suggestions other than what I've already given.

Maybe someone else will stop by and suggest something further.

LyndaB said:
I'm afraid I can't offer suggestions other than what I've already given.

Maybe someone else will stop by and suggest something further.

Have u had this problem? Thanks anyway. That one is really cruel:(

LyndaB said:
you can still try the above.

I did now so am waiting il update u tomorrow. I made ALOT of hiding places :). I hope they are just fighting over territory and will get over it soon

Back
Top Bottom