I knew hatches could jump but into the other room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was picking up the toilet paper my cat decided to shred in the study when I noticed what appeared to be one of my hatchets. Where this fish was was about 8 feet away from the tank and in the OTHER ROOM. I checked my tank and there were no major gaps and the only gaps were in the back so if he did jump out, he would have landed behind the stand (which most likely would have ended up in the inside of the stand). I figured the kitten brought it in here, but how did it jump out? How I ask? How?

Now I have one lone hatchetfish =o(

We lost a 6" bala at work in a similar way. Could not find him until I spotted him all dried out and stuck to the glass top behind the light fixture. The only way he could have gotten out is to fit between the 3/8" or so gap between the glass and the biowheel filter.

It seems that if they are determined to get out, they will.

Weird things happen. We had a Kenyi jump out of our 150 through a 3 inch gap in the back of the tank. She flopped her way about 6 or 7 feet away from the tank.

This is totally unrelated, but I had a fiddler crab when I was younger. He escaped one evening when my parents took us to a carnival. We came home, and I found the fiddler in the middle of the kitchen floor. He crawled down the hallway, two flights of stairs, and into the kitchen. If I had to walk the area that he crawled, it would probably be about....40 feet.

But back to the fish... I agree it seems the will always find a way... :(

I had the same thing happen lyquid, a hatchetfish got out, you'd have thought it would have gotten behind the stand, but it must have gotten beside the stand. Or the cats were able to smell it and paw it out. I'm sure your cats smelled it and found a way to drag it out, then lost it when playing in the toilet paper.

My friend's crayfish crawled out of the tank and walked 30' away. They saved him once from this, but he kept doing it, climbing out of the tank through the filter lid.

one of my killiefish disapeard once! I thought my pleco or angel had got it and sadly put it out of my mind,...
found it about 3 months later now THAT was GROSS
but the werid thing was, we diddint smell it.....

I had a betta bellica that flipped his way under the couch. We found him when we moved. More than a year later.

I used to stick my hermit crabs in the (empty) bathtub while I cleaned their cage and so they could have exercise. One climbed up the shower curtain and made it down the hallway. I caught him doing it several times, it was pretty amusing.

at least you guys have found your fish, I still have yet to find 2 clown loaches, 2 zebra danios and a snail ( including shell ) I have no idea where they go, what happens to them, they just dissapear

Back
Top Bottom