I know I ask a lot of questions (BGK related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hrafnkel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
But what can live with a Black Ghost Knife Fish? Looking at size/price considerations, a 55 would be more economical and likely easier than my previous 29/30 idea, but I dunno what all to put in it. Was thinking of transferring my current stock from the 10 to the 55 and using the ten for a single pair of rams (so I can baby them, and keep their water exactly how they need it and not worry about compatibility). One fish that caught my interest (and how could it not?) was the Black Ghost Knife, and I wasn't sure what it could live with. Current stock are: 3 tetras that were falsely labelled as bloodfins, from what I can tell, 1 betta, 1 dojo loach, 3 cories, and 1 snail (who will stay in the 10).

BGK'S are peacful fish IMO. BGK would be fine with any of the fish you labeled and you can keep one in a 55g. Mine is handtrained and eats out of my hands.

nothing small !!!
No white clouds, neons, guppies, bettas (he will eat them)
No cichlids - they attack ghost knife

Also, black Ghost knife's are territorial - so you cannot really keep 2 together

I had no intention of keeping two together, I've heard their electric fields can disrupt if they're kept together. Would he really eat something the size of a betta? And I won't have cichlids in that tank at all, my only cichlids will be the pair of rams going into the old tank.

Hrafnkel said:
I had no intention of keeping two together, I've heard their electric fields can disrupt if they're kept together. Would he really eat something the size of a betta? And I won't have cichlids in that tank at all, my only cichlids will be the pair of rams going into the old tank.

he will probably stress a betta to death !!
afterall, they are both territorial, and the Ghost Knife will win anyday !!

Hrafnkel said:
I've heard their electric fields can disrupt if they're kept together. .

They are nocturnal feeders and use a "weak" electric current to locate food in the dark.
so they will have trouble competing for food

Yeah. Same thing. >.> Something with electric fields. My betta's anything but territorial... He just cruises around and doesn't care if any fish are near him or not.

Alright, for the 55 gallon, my idea is:

3 ____ Tetras (dunno what they are, back fin is half red, half clear. Weird things.)
1 Betta
6 Cories
1 Dojo Loach
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Clown Loach
6 Royal Black Emperor Tetras

If possible, wanting to add one other type of tetra (6 of them as well). Is this overstocking? Also might add one more of either loach type, probably dojo. Will that work, or no? Looking for more replies on the betta/BGK, too. I don't think my betta would bother him at all, he doesn't bother anything.

Only problem I see is that loaches like to be kept in groups. I would get some more Dojos and return the clown.

I don't haveta return anything yet, I plan before I buy. :p And I never heard anything about clowns liking to be around each other?

And I'm sorry, didn't realize you haven't bought anything yet. Good planning, I wish I had done it that way my first few times.

Yeah. I like to plan things ahead of time. >.> Generally helps. I'll drop the clown, and add another dojo or two. Also, what's another variety of small, schooling fish I could go with?

Rummy-noses are hard to find here. Would Zebra Danios work? I'll go with Rummy-noses if I can find 'em anywhere. Red eyes don't appeal to me, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a harlequin. Link?

Motion is great. I like motion. I assume a few snails wouldn't hurt either if there's no clowns? I have a newfound love of snails. >.> Let me know if I'm overstocking, I'm excited 'cause I didn't think I'd be able to get a tank this big.

Oh, and thanks for the link. They're rasboras, then? Not a fan of the general rasbora color scheme.. Kind of a shade that irritates my eyes.

I don't think, after looking again at you stocking list that you need anymore small fish. Maybe replace the funky looking tetras with the danios that should work.

Back
Top Bottom