I know I know!!!!!..ergh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well..I've been thinking...(ya I know..shut up). I really like mollys and have had them in the past. Right now I am planning to put 7 neons in my tank..but...what about mollys?

29 gal. tank

1 dwarf gourami
4 platies
? mollies?

how many mollies could I have in that tank? thanks..I think too much.

Also would it be better to have the neons or the mollies? I am not worried about babies.

wow..I just thought of this. It sounds as if I am ungrateful for all your opinions and knowledge!!!!! I'm really not. I don't mean to sound this way!! I just can't make up my mind!!! Sorry about that.!! :(

2. LOL. That 2 will become 22, which will become 222. Unless that is you make sure they are eaten or give/sell them away....

Well, if she gets the same sex that won't happen lol. My suggestion is if you want to get mollies, you should get females. They're so much more personable than the males and don't spend their days trying to breed each other or other species of fish. I agree with only two, maybe 3 if you want to push it. Most of the mollies I've bred and seen of the different colorations get to be about 2-3"...My females are around 3" each

Gouramis loooooove livebearer fry. :)

I say you can get a few, preferably females like the others said. Or if not, just hope the gourami munches them down.

Whats wrong with the males LOL. The females are more gentle with the male in the sense that they wont chase the other fish. I have some mollies with some Amber Tetras and they get on fine. I think 3 or 4 mollies would do well in a 29 gal tank.

Those fish should be ok together. Using the 1 inch of fish per gal rule you could add 3 molly's into the mix.

Good Luck,
Brian

3, nah, get what you wish you should have plenty of room and the bioload shouldn't be too heavy. 5 should maybe be your limit. They shouldn't reproduce too madly if you've got enough fry eaters. I might toss a bottom feeder into the mix too.

Jobin said:
Whats wrong with the males LOL. The females are more gentle with the male in the sense that they wont chase the other fish. I have some mollies with some Amber Tetras and they get on fine. I think 3 or 4 mollies would do well in a 29 gal tank.

The issue with all males is that you run the *risk* of them being agressive. Not always the case, but sometimes it is.

Personally, I like the idea of the neon tetras the best. You will already have pretty livebearers in the tank with the platies you are planning on.

The problem is that neons do best in soft, slightly acidic water, while mollies and platies prefer hard, alkaline water, and mollies in particular like a little salt in their water. Neons don't live as long in water that mollies and platies thrive in.

When I have had mollies before, I have gotten 1 male, 2 females. When my male died the females were SOOO much more aggressive! They nipped at EVERYONE'S fins..even the other mollies. I love the little nippers though :D.

I guess I should go with the neons....I don't know what my water is like though. It is tap water but I will dechlor it. :D

I should probably say that my filter is a 40 gal. on a 29 gal. tank...if that makes a difference:).

Next week when I put my platies in it..I will test it.

thanks....

OH! 7 neons, 4 platies, 1 gourami....if my platies have babies and a few live will that be alright or am I alreadu maxed out?

Check your pH; in an established tank, it tends to drop over time unless you have very hard water and do weekly water changes. If the platies spawn, the gourami will probably eat most of the babies, unless there's plenty of cover for them. Take a sample of water to your lfs, they'll probably be happy to test it for you for free. Then buy a test kit, to keep an eye on things down the road. The inch/gallon standard is pretty useless in general. More important is what kind of fish and width of the tank. Gourami's are territorial, more so with other gourami's than different kinds of fish. Platies and neons are not territorial, neons are schoolers. They should be fine together, as long as the pH is close to 7.0. Not ideal for anybody, but they can all live with it.

The inch of fish per gallon is a guideline for a begining aquariast, it is not a "rule". Your live stock limits will depend on the fish and your maintanance regiment. I would not feel comfortable telling someone to fully stock a tank to its max and then they can't or don't know how to keep up with the maintenance. Once they learn with a low bio load they can increase it based on their experience. That is why I give the advice of 1 inch/gal. If someone has a hard time or fails their first time they may lose interest in the hobby.

Brian

edited for grammar

Back
Top Bottom