I love my glass top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a general comment after finally replacing my stock plastic hood on my 20gallon high tank. Much nicer, and definately seals in the moisture MUCH better. I have a HOB filter so had to cut the plastic portion off the back so that it would fit properly but other than that, its excellent.

Only possible concern will be increased algae from the light that will now be able to get in the tank from the top. Shouldn't be much of a problem but if it is I'll probably get some mylar and tape it to the outside to prevent light from getting in, and escaping.

I'd like to think it might help keep my CO2 levels up, but since I have the gap at the back for the HOB I'm not counting on it...

Was $18 after tax from my local PetSmart. Pretty funny I buy 90% of my fish stuff from them (unless I have a big enough order to use Big Al's), but have never bought a fish from them! :)

congrats on the new top, yes they are definitely nicer in all ways than the black plastic tops that usually come with tanks.

By the way, I hope you kept the section of plastic backing that you cut away...you never know when you'll want it. (Trust me, experience speaking here!) :)

I love the glass tops also. I put one of those T5 fixtures on top of it .... ends up lower than the top of the HOB filter. A nice sleek look until you get to the filter LOL

The glass tops are definitely nice. They keep the water vapor and the fish in the tank. I have one on a 20g and the other on a 30g. Both have the Coralife T-5 Dual-Linear Freshwater Aqualights which I think are great.

I like my glass top as well. Purchased mine at Petco for a little over $10 after tax. I buy a lot of my equipment at there and Petco since they do the online price matching. Sometimes fish but not very often.

I doubt the small gap will affect CO2 levels significantly. I manage good levels (DIY) with a glass top and HOB filter. Usually ~25ppm with one 2L generating.

in my 20 gal with a HOB filer i am getting really high levels with DIY co2. but i am also running 2 2litre bottles. i am talking about levels well over 50. just fill the tank up beyont the output of the filter to avoid splashing.

The addition of CO2 means high light conditions,yet you are concerned about "new" light causing algea problems?I think you will be fine there if thats the only concern....but thats just my opinion.

FWIW I have the all glass versitop (sp?) and love it...I got it so I could put two lights on the 29g tank,but I left the strip off completely to encourage gas exchange,but then again I don't add CO2.

i go bare top :) a few additional water top offs are required but i like the freeness of always being able to stick my hand in the tank and re arrange the plants at will.

SCFatz said:
The addition of CO2 means high light conditions,yet you are concerned about "new" light causing algea problems?I think you will be fine there if thats the only concern....but thats just my opinion.

FWIW I have the all glass versitop (sp?) and love it...I got it so I could put two lights on the 29g tank,but I left the strip off completely to encourage gas exchange,but then again I don't add CO2.

No I'm concerned that the WAVELENGTH of light that natural sunlight has will cause algae problems in the tank. I've got moderate light now due to replacing the stock 65w CF bulb with a 50/50, but am concerned that light that previously couldn't get in the tank now has a direct path through the top. Also moisture is obviously building on the glass which I'm willing to bet will begin to grow algae because it will be very low nutrients/high light/good amount of CO2.

And I can't remember the top I got. Came in a blue box that ended up making my hands blue as I was going to the front to pay (felt like I had just robbed a bank or something :) ). Think it was All-Glass or something. It was the only glass tops that PetSmart carried. I couldn't find them on their website so assume I got charged much more than it should have cost, but oh well, I'm happy.

WHAT THE HECK! Just went to PetSmart's site and they got rid of the "Fish" tab on their main site?!?

Wow, my bookmark to their fish site just gives a mostly empty page now! Hopefully this is a temporary glitch, maybe redoing the website or something...

Back
Top Bottom