I love you, I hate you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
My favorite tropical fish has always been Cardinal Tetras. However, I have the worst luck with them. I ordered 18. 1 was DOA. 1 may as well have been and 3 more croaked after the first night. I'm betting two more die by morning and I think I see what may be ich on another. (already started raising the temp) I floated them for 2-3 hours, added water 3 times over the span of an hour or so to their bags before releasing them.

Years ago I bought 8, but 5 survived and went on to live for 5+ years

Ich has hammered me twice since. Then the last batch from the lfs came with what I believe was neon tetra disease.

They're gorgeous fish, but the die offs and diseases are frustrating me to no end. All the other tank mates seem to do well. The same shipment arrived with 8 Bleeding Hearts, 2 Bolivians and 3 Cories and they all appear to be adjusting with no issues.

Am I doing something way wrong or please tell me this is par for the course.

Cardinals are a little fragile. They're really sensitive to nitrates. Aquarium salt can also make a difference.

Floating isn't the best method for acclimating. Look up drip acclimation. It's a much better method for small fish and it only takes a bucket and some air line.

From what I know, most cardinals are caught in the wild, and have already lived out most of their small little lives before being sent to fish stores. Might have something to do with your death toll..

Back
Top Bottom