"I Love You" Parrotfish; say it isn't so.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, as a biology undergraduate working as a research assistant to a developmental biologist, I actually produced a lot of "fancy" strains of zebra danios, with the homeotic genes deliberately mutated to produce interesting CNS deformities. Of course, that was in the name of science. At that time, researchers elsewhere had produced recombinant zebra danios with ctenophore (kinda like a jellyfish) genes spliced into their genomes, which made them glow in the dark. At the time I thought it would have been very cool to play around with some. Now I see they are available at my LFS.

Reefmonkey said:
By the way, as a biology undergraduate working as a research assistant to a developmental biologist, I actually produced a lot of "fancy" strains of zebra danios, with the homeotic genes deliberately mutated to produce interesting CNS deformities. Of course, that was in the name of science.

what do you mean deformities? you mean you purposly made retarded fish?

We were inhibiting the expression of certain genes in order to find out what those genes do. Sometimes we would use a protein, sometimes we would knockout the genes. The class of genes we were working with, homeotic genes, regulate the expression of downstream genes, that is, turn them on or off. So, yeah, I made a lot of fish that rode the short bus.

Back
Top Bottom