I made a video yayy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The eco complete
Up and running. I think I'm either going to have to plant the left side heavy or put backing on it. As you can see the midevil is already trying to figure out what's going on.
img_3161084_0_0b5d27592626d7bfb6ddc01c58017b97.jpg

Nice man!! I have a background between tanks, the gbrs and apistos were staring each other down.. just imagine prison with Mike Tyson in the cell next to you :eek: have you researched any plants out yet? Hardscape?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to dig through my bag of tricks. I have some drift wood and rocks somewhere and so far 1 Anubias. I also have cycled filters to go on tomorrow. I still will have to get a light. The one on there now is just a temp off an old 10 gallon.

Sorry, not trying to double hijack but since you're on the topic...ever use mineralized top soil and clay? Debating my options. Eco complete is my other thought at the moment.

Well I went and did it. Thanks Brookster! I have the tank top background and I picked up caribsea floramax. Now to rearrange the house to make some room.

I like the Floramax quite a lot! Not sure what problem others have had with it... I have 2 CaribSea substrate products and like them both. The Fluval Plant & Shrimp Substrate, however, is nutritionally a good product but a real mess to work with. When the dust settles after running your filter for 3, 4, 5 ... hours, your plants are covered in black dust; but if you remove them to clean the plants and replant, you just stir it up again. :banghead: This is using it Mixed! I hate to think what would happen using it alone, like the bag tells you to. :fish1:

I have to dig through my bag of tricks. I have some drift wood and rocks somewhere and so far 1 Anubias. I also have cycled filters to go on tomorrow. I still will have to get a light. The one on there now is just a temp off an old 10 gallon.

You going with a current satellite?

Sorry, not trying to double hijack but since you're on the topic...ever use mineralized top soil and clay? Debating my options. Eco complete is my other thought at the moment.

I've never personally used it, lots of people do though. You really have to do your homework on soil as the wrong kind can do all types of funky stuff. I remember a member in here used some soul with wood in it, every few weeks they'd have mini Substrate explosions from the gas buildup.. not cool man.. I'm actually going to toy with clay in my new tank. I have a bunch of clay tabs from peabodys and I like the idea of throwing them on the bottom glass under substrate to retain nutrients and such for some nice roots.

I like the Floramax quite a lot! Not sure what problem others have had with it... I have 2 CaribSea substrate products and like them both. The Fluval Plant & Shrimp Substrate, however, is nutritionally a good product but a real mess to work with. When the dust settles after running your filter for 3, 4, 5 ... hours, your plants are covered in black dust; but if you remove them to clean the plants and replant, you just stir it up again. :banghead: This is using it Mixed! I hate to think what would happen using it alone, like the bag tells you to. :fish1:

It's nothing to do with performance, i have the luxury of having a few other substrates to compare it to and it's simply just difficult to work with is all. I.wouldnt buy/use it again. I like finer grade stuff.

You going with a current satellite?

What do you recommend? If I'm understanding what I have been reading I will need to use flourish or I will have algae problems? I don't want to buy a light only to need to upgrade in a few months if I take it to the next level.

What do you recommend? If I'm understanding what I have been reading I will need to use flourish or I will have algae problems? I don't want to buy a light only to need to upgrade in a few months if I take it to the next level.

If you're anything like the rest of us you're going to get bit. Plants are addicting, once you see the potential it's a freaking pitfall fall.. one thing I regret is blind purchases, I've learned a lot about self control and research through this hobby and all you guys/girls on here! So... buy right, buy once.. ferts and co2 can always be adjusted along the way as needed for your setup.. we can cover that later. First and foremost, lighting.. I've had a very expensive crash coarse in lighting and leds. There are cheap leds that will yield expensive results.. blahhh.
Not for me, I like colors and features and brand backing/warranty
Finnex- run 2 planted plus and a stingray, grow plants like a boss, great price.. color spectrum not the best.. no dimming.. no good...
Current satellite plus- excellent color, excellent dimming, excellent look.. not so excellent power, great customer service.
Build my led.... YUP!! Its anything you want it to be but you're spending big money.
For you mike, I will reccomend the current satellite pro, it's got the power if and when you're ready and all the bells and whistles. Reasonably priced considering what it can/will do for a tank. If you feel like cutting the mattress open? Get a bml, they'll build you a one of a kind light which is cool in itself. You say.. i like cichlids..well I like plants too!! Boom planted cichlid spectrum.. done.. google reviews and first hand accounts. Gather info.
Now it's time to start a build thread;) I forgot what thread this is hahaha

Mikem961- can you post the link to the build thread here? I would love to follow it. Always learning something from them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom