I messed up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Doing my weekly 25% water change in my 56 gallon aquarium I usually turn my filters off off so they aren't sucking air(heater is on same power strip). Towards the end I must have got distracted and forgot to turn them back on. About 26 hours later when I got home I noticed the water was very cloudy, I then realized I had left my filters off. Without thinking I turned my HOB and Canister back on thinking that would fix the problem, not thinking about the nasty water in the filters that would likely cause issues. After reading a bit I decided to do another 1/3 water change to help improve the water and pulled the filter cartridge from my other tank's HOB and traded it with this one to make sure at least some bacteria were alive. Problem is now 3-4 of the fish are flashing and I am unsure what to do. I am sure the funky water/temp change/water change/bacteria purge has been stressful for them and I am hoping that after the filters have run over night the water will be much better (already practically clear again). When I tested the ammonia and nitrates were up a little .5ish for ammonia and 10-20 ppm for nitrates (those colors are hard to discern ). How long should i wait for another water change and how long should it take the filters to get those numbers back down?

Just rock out with another water change. 50% should be sufficient and work to keep your ammonia below 0.5ppm

When my pentagon leaked my canister filter was off for 48 hours.. turned it back on and it smelled horrible but I did water change and never had an ammonia spike.. so just change your water you might get lucky like me lol

Regularly have canister filters switched off for 24hrs through forgetting or waiting for plants to root better. Usually just re-start with no issues.

If it is cloudy white water rather than debris in the water you may have something else going on.

Yes, I'm just a little curious as I don't get cloudy water like that. Even the bare bottom small tank will stay clear and I also forget to turn that back on every so often for 24hrs. Certainly don't get ammonia spikes like that and both tanks are fully stocked. Wondering if something else is going on.

OP is your ph ok?

so far so good

Came home from work today did another partial water change. Stats are much nicer and water is crystal clear again. Ph is normal for a cichlid tank. Cloudiness may have been in part to stirring up the same substrate the night before. Fish are in much better spirits today, very active and no flashing so hopefully this is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom