I need a fish that:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
1) Can be kept in a community tank.

2) Doesnt get much bigger than 2 inches.

3) Doesnt school....or can work in small schools (I prefered the first).

4) Is colourful, or bold.....none of this white or pasty stuff.

5) Has easy water condition needs.

I already have platties so Im thinking nothing like a swordtail or a guppy which closely resembles the platty. What about an pair of endlers?

Im so demanding arent I?

Swordtails are great fish, but livebearers tend to turn into lots of livebearers. Unless you get a male swordtail, mollie, or guppy. Those would be great to add to your tank.
just my opinion

Lakota 0X

Female Endler's are extremely dull, in my opinion, without any color whatsoever. You could definitely get several males for marvelous color.

What about some rainbows? The Boesmani get relatively large but not all of them do, and they will school but not all of the time (more shoaling). They are good community fish and most don't have particular water requirements.

Thanks guys, I was interested in the endlers becuase of their great colour but I didnt want a guppy becuase I already have a betta in the tank and the guppy has a competing tail.....now that I think of it, maybe endlers do too. I will have to look into that. Ive ALWAYS wanted mollies but since they need salt I didnt think this would work well.....is there anyways that I could give them enough salt to live, but without hurting the other freshwater fish. A long time ago I was really looking into the badis badis and I was set on getting one. Something must have distracted me from it and I totally forgot about it. Now i think I will go get some. I also bought a small school of neons, will any other tetras school with them....I know its not common, but I have heard of it. Im looking for diversity in this tank, so I dont really want a large school of one type of fish that will max out my bioload. Thanks guys, now Imoff to research your suggestions. :)

Mollies are brackish fish, but can be acclimated to freshwater or saltwater, I keep mine toward the freshwater side of things with little salt because I noticed that the higher salt content was killing two of my plants.
Find out wheater your LFS keeps mollies in brackish or freshwater, if you really want them you can ease them off salt yourself. I wouldn't suggest Balloon Mollies b/c they aren't as hardly as other mollies, also they are live-bearers, so keep that in mind.

One fish that comes to mind is the preacox rainbow, or the dwarf neon rainbow, it fits all your requirements. Barbs could work too. It depends on what else you have in the tank but you could have tiger barbs, rosy barbs, or cherry barbs. The long finned rosy barb is a favourite of mine.

thanks guys, I remember seeing rainbows at the LFS, I will try and see if they have any left. Both of my local stores are really low for stock right now and waiting on new shipments that will come within 10 days. I figure I will take these 10 days to figure out and research my new fishies.

Sorry newaridiar, I didnt see your btw. My female is a Wag tail, my old male (which died of finrott and I got the lfs to replace) had a mickey mouse marking on his tail, and my new male has some black patterns on his side.

Back
Top Bottom