I Need a Serious YES or NO Answer Here: Exhausted Carbon and my Fancy Goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if that's the way everyone feels, so be it; let it rest. I still don't know whether or not it's okay to leave these exhausted carbon cartridges in the filter indefinitely without some kind of eventual danger coming to the water column...and if I could just rinse and dunk them in removed tank water during water changes (as I do with the AquaClear sponge media) until they seem like they are physically and quite literally falling apart...:(

At any rate, thank you all for your attempts to assist; as always, they have been greatly appreciated.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, so be it; let it rest. I still don't know whether or not it's okay to leave these exhausted carbon cartridges in the filter indefinitely without some kind of eventual danger coming to the water column...and if I could just rinse and dunk them in removed tank water during water changes (as I do with the AquaClear sponge media) until they seem like they are physically and quite literally falling apart...:(

At any rate, thank you all for your attempts to assist; as always, they have been greatly appreciated.

As is normal with the aquarium community, it is a difficult thing to come to any consensus. There seem to me to be two different kinds of people in the aquarium community, the purists and the laid back. I completely respect the care that the purists of the community have, it is very evident that they care deeply for their fish and strive to give them the very best atmosphere for their survival that they can. Personally, unless I see direct scientific evidence about the effect of something, I take the more laid back route. It is going to come down to each person's personal preference. If you suspect that leaving exhausted carbon in a filter for extended periods of time; it is a simple matter to cut the filter open and take the old carbon out or even switch to different type of filter media.

I still don't know whether or not it's okay to leave these exhausted carbon cartridges in the filter indefinitely without some kind of eventual danger coming to the water column...

If its that much of a concern, you can do away with the carbon cartridge altogether and put some matrix or other quality bio media in its place. It's not worth the stress its causing you.

Thank you, both, for your additional sentiments; not sure what I am going to do yet...

It does seem a bit ridiculous -- to add to someone's point who commented in this thread -- that companies would sell something that would eventually toxify a tank and kill the inhabitants; I mean, I get the whole "replace these cartridges so we can keep making money off you" angle, but to put something in there that could possibly kill the fish?

I don't know...:blink: :ermm:

For whatever it's worth, here are some more of that moderator's input with regard to what was shared with me here:

I don't have issue with most of the responses above. What was critical for us to assert was that carbon is not somehow required, which unfortunately can be the prevalent misconception passed around in some places. That's just as bad as the assertion that carbon can leech back toxic compounds. As I said before, it's our aim to present this tool in its proper context.

As for Aeromonas being found on carbon substrates in greater numbers, I don't think that's taking things out of context. That is what it is. Whether this population of bacteria contributes directly or indirectly to fish disease is a good question, but I think that one has to acknowledge that the existing data at least supports the idea of carbon being one of the reservoirs for these bugs.

Yes, pathogenic bacteria such as Aeromonas can be ubiquitous, but it's also fact that certain substrates are preferred over others. My reading of the science literature says that there is a preference for growth on carbon. Of course these bacteria are also on filter padding and bio-media, but certainly they are there on carbon, and can be in larger numbers.

This is not a question that anyone here can answer with any sort of authority, because actual data for this is lacking. Anecdotally, people have claimed this to be true, but I am sure there are people who would say otherwise. The experiments to find this out are not hard to do, but as far as I know, they have not been done.

Personally, my view is that can they cause sickness? Sure they can. Will they? We don't know enough to determine this. Then again, can other media such as padding that's left in the filter too long contribute to sickness. Sure they can. They probably also contribute to a lot of your nitrates as well.

Finally, as I said above, my big complaint about carbon is not knowing for sure when it's spent. I prefer something like Purigen much better, where you can tell.

Just thought I'd share, for some feedback...

To be honest it sounds to me like a long winded statement that means little. His basis for reasoning is very generic, since anything with a large surface area has the same potential. That's the whole point of biomedia.
So in the end, to me, it would've been much less effort for him to just admit that the claim is unwarranted.

Also it doesn't need to be reiterated that this person is a mod, mods are people too and their opinions in this regard are not gospel.

Last edited:
What do you make of this statement, Jeta, specifically the last portion which I have bolded?

Well I just have to say this would be the same thing as having gravel in the bottom of the tank that is to thick.... because you have carbon normally in a bag in a filter just sitting there collecting stuff.... now do most people rinse it off every water change no. So I can see why this would cause problems and leach bad bb's back into the tank...

My feedback is that he's back pedaling. Did you indicate in a subsequent post that you had also gone to another forum, asked the question, provided the link, and people called BS?

I hate to be in a position of criticizing another forum, but seriously, that one turned me off immediately with its "our way or the highway" tone.

My feedback is that he's back pedaling. Did you indicate in a subsequent post that you had also gone to another forum, asked the question, provided the link, and people called BS?

Most likely...

I hate to be in a position of criticizing another forum, but seriously, that one turned me off immediately with its "our way or the highway" tone.

:ermm:

What do you make of this statement, Jeta, specifically the last portion which I have bolded?

Well I just have to say this would be the same thing as having gravel in the bottom of the tank that is to thick.... because you have carbon normally in a bag in a filter just sitting there collecting stuff.... now do most people rinse it off every water change no. So I can see why this would cause problems and leach bad bb's back into the tank...

I share the consensus of the last 7 pages. This thread has well run it's course and is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom