i need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannysgirl916

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK so my husband and I were looking in to getting 100 to 130 gallon tank. I have been researching the plants and fish and its confusing with all the conflicting info out there. So here what I would like to know. I want some easy to care for planys. Now I also need some stocking suggestion. Our requirements are
1 pleco species
1 ram species
1 live bearer species for breeding
1 Cory species
1 shrimp species
1 snail species that breed in freshwater not brackish
And a center piece

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice would be great. And quantities of each.

Last edited:
Your Tank

Hello girl...

A very nicely sized tank. I can tell you what I have in my larger tanks, but if you want to get into the Waterkeeping" hobby, you'll need to do your own research, that's the way you learn. Tanks are individual and what works for my tanks may not for yours.

Anyway, Plecos are nice, I have several and some get large, no problem for your tank. These fish are peaceful and won't bother smaller fish. I prefer livebearing fish, so I have Fancy Guppies, a hundred or so and Platys, around 20, also peaceful fish. You'll need a little different bottom feeder to help maintain the tank bottom material. I keep Corydoras, 6 to 8, another peaceful fish.

Plants, especially the floating kind are needed to help keep the tank water clean. Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennwort are my choices. Some good bottom plants are Java Fern, any of the species of Anubias and any of the mosses. I like Christmas and Singapore. My plants cover the entire top and bottom of the tank.

These are easy fish and plants, but require pure water conditions. So, if you commit to changing roughly half the tank water every couple of weeks, these fish and plants will be fine.

Make sure you cycle the tank properly and research the fish and plants you want. The fish have to be able to get along with one another and the plants have their own lighting needs.

Have fun!

B

OK so my husband and I were looking in to getting 100 to 130 gallon tank. I have been researching the plants and fish and its confusing with all the conflicting info out there. So here what I would like to know. I want some easy to care for planys. Now I also need some stocking suggestion. Our requirements are
1 pleco species
1 ram species
1 live bearer species for breeding
1 Cory species
1 shrimp species
1 snail species that breed in freshwater not brackish
And a center piece

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice would be great. And quantities of each.

Pleco - Bristlenose pleco 2 - 3
Ram - German Blue Ram - 1m/1f
Live Bearer - Mollies - 9 - 3m / 6f
Cory - Panda cories - 15
Shrimps - Red cherry shrimp - 20+
Snail - Assassin Snails - as many as you want.

These are really just arbitrary numbers I'm throwing out aside from the gender numbers. However, they would work in those numbers in your tank.

I would look at either angels or rainbows if you like them. They aare great for the middle of a tank.

What light level are you hoping to shoot for with plants?

Back
Top Bottom