i need advice on the best/easiest goldfish to have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

commongoldfishx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys ,:wave:
unfortunatly due to my dad getting a filter for my tank that literally
blasted my fantail goldfish called humphery to death :banghead: , so i need your help
. can you suggest for me a easy goldfish to look after but one with alot of personality .

the man at the petshop said that fantails are easy to look after but they have
swimbladder problems and black moors are not good starter fish and common goldfish get too big . i am so confused what should i do ?:confused:

i dont want to loose another :fish1:

the height is 25cm height , 36cm length and 12cm width . i have currently 4 golden mountain minnows

Samzter said:
Do you know what it is in gallons or litres?

Less than three gallons (US).

Unfortunately, there is no Goldfish that can be suggested for that tank, they all get way too big.

If you went tropical you could do some killifish, shrimp or a male betta. Ember tetras, galaxy Rasboras . There's lots!

i guess , i am only really a novice and a tropial tank may be too much maintance .
i do have a larger tank at my mums wich measurements are .
46cm height 30cm width and 61 cm length is that better and can you suggest a goldfish ? .

i have everything i need for it .

thanks xx

commongoldfishx said:
i guess , i am only really a novice and a tropial tank may be too much maintance .
i do have a larger tank at my mums wich measurements are .
46cm height 30cm width and 61 cm length is that better and can you suggest a goldfish ? .

i have everything i need for it .

thanks xx

For that size tank, ~20 gallons (US), one Fancy Goldfish could be recommended.

A tropical community tank would be no more difficult to take care of than a Goldfish tank. Might even be easier because for a small Goldfish tank I would suggest two 50% water changes a week. For a tropical community I would suggest only one 50% water change a week.

I agree with Blert- you can stock one fancy goldfish in the 20g. No goldfish in the 3g! Fancy goldfish are actually harder & more work than most tropicals- dont 'assume' they are easier!! They also do not do well in cycling tanks- I would suggest fishless cycling the 20g and start doing your research & asking lots of questions about what you would like to stock in this tank in the meantime. A 20g needs 200gph (gallons per hour) filtration for a single fancy goldfish with some extra aeration. ALL goldfish are prone to swimbladder issues- feeding an appropriate sinking goldfish food such as Hikari or NLS along with daily veggies & some occasional fruits & fresh protiens in addition to frequent large water changes will go long way to limiting SB issues. Please ask if you have any questions!! :)

Back
Top Bottom