I need help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spyderco93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up my first tank it's a 55 gallon I added tetra safe start yesterday an today I decided to add some new gravel I rinsed the gravel well in tap water and also let all water drain in strainer now Iam wondering if the chlorine from the grave could harm the fish or the good bacteria in TSS I would jut add prime but I don't want that to kill the good bacteria so do you guys think that would be enough chlorine to do Damage thanks! This is really bothering me lol

Did you get aquarium gravel? Do you know how much chlorine is in your tap? Try leave your gravel to dry in the sun for a couple days, the sun should help.

Tap water is about 8.2 and yea I should of left it out but it's I the tank now think ill b fine it's been a few hrs and all fish are acting normal

Tap water is about 8.2 and yea I should of left it out but it's I the tank now think ill b fine it's been a few hrs and all fish are acting normal
Chlorine usually shows signs in the fish within hours at high traces. But it could slowly kill everything in low traces. I'd add a water conditioner like stress coat to be safe. EDIT: Just saw your chlorine levels in your tap. Add water conditioner right away! That's quite high. You don't want any deaths.

I just don't want prime to kill all the stuff in safe start but if it will really affect the fish I guess it's worth it to add some

I use tetra aqua safe I believe. When I do water changes, the day before, I fill a 5g bucket to the line. And add 2.5ml using a syringe. Put my air stone in and bubble the gas out all night. Next morning if I need to do a WC, I just take out however much is needed and I use the water in the bucket, and fill it back up and repeat the process.

I end up using all the water in the bucket so I make a new batch of water everytime.

Prime doesn't kill anything. It just removes clorine cloramine heavy metals and temporarily turns ammo and nitrites to a less toxic form while still leaving it available for your bacteria. So yeah get it in there and do it fast and maybe a double dose to save what is left of your bb.

Back
Top Bottom