I Need Help With Fin Rot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed that one of my angels it looks like the tail fin is missing 'pieces'. the best way to describe it is it almost looks shreaded yet it isnt. it is very hard to describe, but i am almost certain it is fin rot.
My question is what method or product it best to treat it?

What do the fins look like exactly? Do they have melted, black or white looking edges or do they look more nipped at? most of the time fin rot and tattered fins heal fine with just lots of clean water. Aquarium salt can help also. If it progressively gets worse or doesn't appear to be healing then antibiotics can be used.

somethingsfishy said:
Take out the finrot fish Nd put in seperate tank to treat. Clowns Are sensative.

I have Polka dot loaches, i believe they are equally sensitive, right now i do not have a QT tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
What do the fins look like exactly? Do they have melted, black or white looking edges or do they look more nipped at? most of the time fin rot and tattered fins heal fine with just lots of clean water. Aquarium salt can help also. If it progressively gets worse or doesn't appear to be healing then antibiotics can be used.

They look almost like somethig was nipping at them, the fins are very jagged. How much and how often should i do PWC?

somethingsfishy said:
What kinds of fish are in the tank?

I have 3 angels, a powder blue gourami, 5 black skirt tetras, 2 long fin red minor tetras, 3 polka dot loaches, and 2 CAE. When i feel the angels are bug enough i will be moving them to a 75 gallon. I also spend several hours a day watching my fish and no one nips at eachother.

Can you post a pic of the fin rot in question? I would take a guess and say the black skirts are nipping at the angels. I don't think you can have them together.

somethingsfishy said:
Can you post a pic of the fin rot in question? I would take a guess and say the black skirts are nipping at the angels. I don't think you can have them together.

My other two angels are fine and i never see the black skirts nip at anything except eachother.
Here is the best pic i could get:

Attachments

• image-1138689747.jpg
    image-1138689747.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2248399995.jpg
    image-2248399995.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 54
Next question: how old are your angels? Have you noticed the other two hanging out together more? Idk much about fin rot but I do know nipped fins and it looks like the latter.

somethingsfishy said:
Next question: how old are your angels? Have you noticed the other two hanging out together more? Idk much about fin rot but I do know nipped fins and it looks like the latter.

Idk how old they are but i bought them when petsmart got a new shipment in maybe a month ago. Yes the two golden ones are all most always near eachother and show no aggression towards eachother. the two golden ones did chase the darker one at first but now they dont even acknowledge him. He seems pretty active and he eats, but i never see anything chase him at all.

You can buy cures for fin rot and other diseases at pet shops but make sure you take the fish out the tank that have these symptoms and also check the waters ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite for anything abnormal

Back
Top Bottom