I need to light up my 55 gallon aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The Aquarium is 28" by 18"
It has two separate hoods (stick running threw the middle)
The hoods measure 23" by 11 1/2"
They have some led string lights that cant provide what my plants need.

I did some research to see how much it will cost get better hoods with lights and its more then I wanna spend. Any cheap ways to light it up?

I added marineland hidden lights to my 55 gallon. I have 4, 3 white and blue and one red accent. 2 white and the red are set for day time and the third white/blue is turned onto blue and switches on at night. Cost me 42 usd per light.

I wanna try and stay away from LED since they are only good for low light plants. (unless you get the expensive kind)

Are you growing plants or just looking at feeesh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm Growing Plants, All I have right now are Java Fern, Amazon sword, Anabius Plant and A Moss Ball. I want to grow some other plants but they require more light, which why I want a new light set.

Any body need a reef keeper elite net sys wit 4 PC 4"s an 3 sl 1s an 2" an a whole bunch more

I don't know a ton about lighting, but I went from 2-t8 18" fluorescents to 2-t8 48" 6500k fluorescents with the addition of a glass top and a shop light from Wal-Mart. I think the lighting cost less than $20 all together, the glass top was $40.
Anyone else could probably tell you what kind of plants you could grow. I have java fern and anubias. I'm going to be grabbing some hydrilla verticillata out of a local waterway at some point for some dense vegetation.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, that sounds like a easier idea. I'm gonna check what they have at Walmart.

Thanks, that sounds like a easier idea. I'm gonna check what they have at Walmart.

If you don't already have a timer, be sure to cruise over to electrical and get one, my shop light doesn't have an off switch. I think that'll push costs over$20 though. The timer I got was like $5.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom