I need YOUR experienced advice and opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 30 gallon glass aquarium set up in my room with too many scratches for my liking. I've decided to buy a brand new aquarium with the same exact dimensions, except it will be acrylic. My question is: Can I transfer everything from my old tank to my new tank? Same exact water, same filtration, same everything. I'm not sure how important the actual bacteria that hangs around in the tank is, as I know the bacteria in the filter is far more important. Or would I have to cycle my new tank with the same colony of bacteria from my old tank? If so, for how long? Thanks in advance guys.

Transfer everything over, except for the water. Fill your tank with all new water if possible.

Btw, this is a good time for thorough cleaning.

Try to get the new water (after dechlorinating of course) to match temp of old water. Then you can add fish immediately.

All my fish water gets de-chlorinated and the proper amount of tropical fish salt is added. Just to play it safe, I might just throw another filter (70 gal capacity) in my old tank for about 2-3 weeks so the bacteria can accumulate, then put it in my new tank along with an adjustable heater to match the temp of the old tank's water, let that system run for about 6 hours, then throw em in. What do you think?

I would also keep an eye on the ph.

As long as the temp and ph match, if you move the old filter over, you can begin re-homing immediately.

So you're thinking about adding a second filter?

Yes. I was thinking of having two filters anyway just for the fact that my current filter is for a 30 gallon and I've read that it's beneficial to have more filtration than needed.

*EDIT* I also plan on adding two more tanks to my bedroom, so I would like to be able to have my tanks cycled as fast as possible. With two filters in my current tank, that goal could be met.

I would also keep an eye on the ph.

As long as the temp and ph match, if you move the old filter over, you can begin re-homing immediately.

Will do, thanks :) I have submersible PH/Ammonia testers that hang next to my thermometer. I don't completely rely on those, so I also have the liquid test kits.

If I was you, then I would transfer everything from the old tank to your new tank.

Then use the old tank to grow a FULL load of bacteria in your new filter with ammonia dosing. You'll also need an extra heater.

If you run 2 filters in one tank, then you won't get as much bacteria in your new filter.

If I was you, then I would transfer everything from the old tank to your new tank.

Then use the old tank to grow a FULL load of bacteria in your new filter with ammonia dosing. You'll also need an extra heater.

If you run 2 filters in one tank, then you won't get as much bacteria in your new filter.

Ahhhh okay. Gotcha. I'll do that then. I'm also familiar with the ammonia-dosing method so that's a plus. Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom