I personally think this is a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
so bare with me.

A while back I bought some baby tears (which i will never do again) and the guy I purchased them from was very knowledgeable with plants and said one way to make a carpet was to plant both ends of the baby tears... and he showed me two of the display tanks he had set up doing that. Anyways.. that didn't work and made a mess of my tank.

right now my moneyworts have grown REALLY tall and are growing roots all over. My question is: what would happen if I took my money worts and planted the other end?? Would the wild roots establish and would plants being to grow upward?

never heard of planting baby tears like that.

as for moneywort...no, just prune the top at a node and replant it, and it'll grow. The stem you prune from, will fork and put 2 new stems out from where you cut it.

Baby Tears is a common name that is often applied to two very different plants. Most folks consider Baby Tears to be Micranthemum umbrosum, some folks also call Hemianthus micranthemoides Baby Tears which is better know as Pearlweed or Pearlgrass.

Planting both ends of Hemianthus micranthemoides under high light will help create a carpet type horizontal growth. I've never seen Micranthemum umbrosum (true Baby Tears) form a nice carpet.

Using scientific names is more tedious, but helps eliminate the confusion associated with common names being misapplied.

I further suspect you have Hemianthus micranthemoides (Pearlweed) rather than true Baby Tears because it sounds like the plant made a mess of your tank. Every little piece that breaks off of Pearlweed will start a new plant/patch wherever it lands. You can easily end up with Pearlweed growing all over your other plants and throughout the tanks aquascape.

Yes, i had messy plants of pearlweed. I couldn't keep them planted.. but there are a few remainings here in there in my tank

Time to go prune

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom