I put a puffer in a community tank ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamurdad88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive recently just put a puffer in a community fish aquarium.
The people at the store said that he would eat all my fish.. but he has done n e thing to them.
he seems kind of harmless, just kinda swims really slow and eats snails every once and awhile..

has anyone else mixed aggressive fish with community and have had no problems ?

Any puffer in a community tank is a crap shoot. They may do fine for awhile and then wreak havoc on your other fish. Also what type of puffer is it? Some require BW to thrive in.

What kind of puffer? most likely the puffer you have needs to be in a brackish set up. Give it time and your puffer will start to tear the fins of your other fish and if not kept in brackish water, could die prematurly

Figure out what kind of puffer it is. You might need to take it back and research what it takes to take care of a puffer before purchasing another one

Im sry i forgot the name....
but i can describe it
Its green with black spots

The guy at the store said it will survive in brakish water, and regular water..
i have a little bit of salt in the tank though.. but not a huge amount.

Its prolly a green spotted puffer... like mentioned, if not kept in brackish water it will die prematurely. Also, they are VERY agreesive and should be kept in a species only tank.

He's probably just being shy right now, figuring out the territory and deciding who to nip at first once he's accustomed to his new digs. :p

Alrite well ill set up a tank for him ASAP.

I have some salt in my community tank though...
im not too concerned about my other fish though because i read on a site that its not that agressive and i think my "sean puffy combs" is just adapting to the tank rite now.

But tanks for the help Lyquidphyre
:D

You need a good amount of salt to maintain a brackish set up *nod*
Im sure you will get it figured out- just keep an eye on him, you really don't want to stress out your other fish

good luck =o)

I have a dwarf puffer in a fw community with no problems. They have all been together without incident for many months.

well im gonna take out my puffer as soon as a i get a 10 set up because your puffer is fresh water and mine is brakish.

i kinda blame the guy at the store because he def told me they could be both brakish and fresh... its no big deal though.

Why do you keep salt in your FW set-up? Waste of salt. Make sure to read that link about your puffer posted above. You must use marine salt & measure with a hydrometer.

These guys definitely have you on the right path. I kept a juvenile GSP in a community tank (just like you I bought it after the guy reassured me several times it could survive in brackish or fresh). I kept him without incident for about six months, woke up one morning and two fish including a 5" columbian shark were devoured. I mean the shark was at least twice his size. Really GSP's are saltwater fish once they hit adulthood and don't forget to add snails for a good snack to keep his beak down.

well im gonna take out my puffer as soon as a i get a 10 set up
A 10g will do for a juvie GSP <2", but eventyually it'll need at least 30g for a 6" adult. I think mine would have been happy in a 55g by himself.

My friend had 2 green african puffers with 3 tiger barbs. They tried to take a nip at the barbs every now and then, but the tiger barbs are VERY fast. We kept the salinity mild, and both seemed to do well. Then she learned what changing 80% of the water in a bare bottom tank at the same time as changing her filter (polyester stuffing) does. alas, she phoned me only once they were dead. Much good that does.

the nitrate cycle of DOOOMMMM!

But yes... I wouldn't keep the puffers unless you meet one of the 3 qualifications:
You like watching stressed fish
You have lots of money to replace dead/half eaten fish
You have a puffer only tank.

If it seems to be working though... just keep a REALLY close eye. Her puffers seemed fine with the pleco, however, one day we watched BOTH of the puffers turn on the pleco and ruthlessly attack it. We had to remove it. The store wouldn't take it, so her brother did. (to our severe ANGER he put it in his feeder tank for his pirhana's... not his community tank like he said he would)... But thats another story

I must admmit... puffers are a cool fish.

I wanted a puffer but was informed that they nip the fins of other fish, so if you notice any fish fins nipped, be sure to get him out of there, that is the main reason why I didnt get him, I must say they look really cool.

Just so you know, the puffers only need brackish conditions as they get older. . .

also, you should definitely get some good food for him. I fed freeze-dried krill and frozen brine shrimp.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom