I Saved A Pretty Lady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
This last Monday I went to our three pet stores to look for some more Rummy Nose Tetras. We have a Petco, Petsmart & a private owned pet shop here in our town. After checking out the two chain stores,(no rummys) I went to the private store. I had not been in there in a long time and I was shocked. They used to be THE place to go for quality stuff & fish. Since the big box stores moved in they must be really struggling to make it. Hardly any stock and their tanks looked terrible.
As I was browsing their tanks, I noticed one terribly kept tank with one female Pearl Gourami and two Blue Gouramis. The poor Pearl was cowering up in the darkest corner as the two Blues kept nipping her fins and biting her side. She was also so thin as I'm sure she wasn't eating being terrorized as she was. She was miserably trying to dissappear into the dark corner hardly moving. I moved on looking at the other tanks. After about 15 min. I came back to her tank and she was still being brutalized. I couldn't stand it!
I called in the lady attendent and told her I wanted that Pearl. Just her. I now have her in my heavily planted, lightly stocked 16g where she can recover in peace and quiet. She had two bite wounds in her side and nip wounds on her tail fin. I put some pima & mela fix in and am feeding her frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. As of today, Friday, she is much more energetic and her color and fins are already healing. Her color is back to normal and she is already filling out. This morning when I brought her the brine shrimp, she came to the front of the tank wagging her head back & forth like fish do when they are begging. That's when she REALLY stole my heart. I hope for a long friendship with my new graceful lady. I will move her to my 30g small tetra tank when she's recovered. LOL My "Amazonian" is going to have one exception.
I named her Claire. No particular reason. It just seemed like a good name for a classy, lovely lady. Such is the musing of an old man who loves animals.
Take care & God Bless. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1024.jpg
    DSCF1024.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 228
This melted my heart this morning! Thank you OS and good luck with your new girl! She's a beaut!! Keep us posted :)

Saved?

No... All you have done is proven that even though fish are kept in horrible circumstances, the public will still buy them.

So now they will continue to think that the way they house them is acceptable.

Nothing noble about its really. Just creating a hole for another fish to fill.

Then sir, by your thinking we should never give to charity or we would prolong human suffering. No sir. I will not succumb to that logic. OS.

Then sir, by your thinking we should never give to charity or we would prolong human suffering. No sir. I will not succumb to that logic. OS.

No, that's not what I said.

You're buying animals from a supplier, if they have demand (what you and many others provide) they will continue to house fish.

As you know, these fish aren't housed in the best way and many of them are in danger be it from over stocking or dangerous tank mates.

So by purchasing these fish, you are letting the company continue in its practices.

Stop trying to act like its a noble thing, it's not, you thought you did a good deed but all you did was reinforce the stores stocking ideals.

Charity and empathy for suffering, whatever the cause IS a noble thing. And I won't argue with you anymore about it. You go your way, I'll go mine. Have a good day. OS.

Old Scales, I think you are awesome…. a fellow bleeding heart and I applaud you for it. There is that old story about the person throwing starfish back in the ocean after a terrible storm. When told "you are being foolish as there are thousands of them that will eventually bake in the sun, it is impossible to save them all--how meaningless." The beachwalker said, "it means something to this particular one to be given a chance at life."

.....i think its pretty nice. The fish would of probably died if he hadnt and besides im pretty sure you could jist talk to the owners aboyt it and see if the can do netter with the next shipment

Good for you Old Scales! I 10000% agree with your logic. Poor girl needed to get out of there, and you did the right thing.

Just read this and it made me smile :) lovely thing to do os, she's beautiful!

I have a wonderful fish shop north of me in Fayetteville, 60 miles away. They are a fish only shop with FW and SW. Their stock is awesome and their tanks are kept immaculate. They know their stuff and keep fish properly matched. This is where I go when I need serious stuff. Their prices are a little higher but their quality makes it worth it. So to give them a shout out, their place is named Worlds Under Water. I just wish they were closer.
OS.

Thank you FishBoy. Hey, I like your avatar. Is that a Cory? If so what kind? By the way my first name is Brian also. LOL OS.

Last edited:
It is a Corry catfish and its called a peppered Cory and I got mine at petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom