I saved it... or did I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to a well known pet store today (won't mention the name) and there was a couple there buying a good sized Ropefish. The lady who was catching it let it slither right out of the container twice where it fell on the hard floor (it was being kept on the 2nd tier of tanks) twice!!! Once the fish was bagged the couple who were going to buy it decided not to take it because of the fall. So, rather than having this poor thing go through the stress of going back into the tank to be caught *again* and most likely dropped *again* by this woman I said I'd take it. I know they have a 15 day warranty so if it dies, I'll bring it back. At least now I know it's safe and hopefully it will be ok.

I know a little bit about these guys from growing up when my father had one and I also did quite a bit of research on them while I was coming up with a stocking list for my 75 gallon. I just hope I didn't make a huge mistake by buying it. My tank is already pretty stocked and I probably shouldn't add more to it. I do stay up to date with PWC and everything so it shouldn't be to bad. I just hate that I was there at the time to see it all go down. Otherwise I would've passed it up.

I've already sealed up the top which was already pretty much sealed because of the Dojos that I have. Now I'm just worried that it'll get lonely by being the only one. Will it be ok to add another to my tank when and if I see it again. This is all assuming the poor thing survives the 2 falls.

:S
I don't know too much about these but I heard they are best kept in groups of 5+, and that they grow to something like 40cm each...could be a handful you've got there!

That's awful they kept dropping it :S The employee should have asked for help. It's not a crime!

Oh, one other thing: I think I came across this fish when I was browsing through brackish species...you may want to double check that this poor thing doesnt need salt in his water.

GL though, hope it works out, they look like really interesting fish!

I'm going to sound like a horrible person, but while I know it's not good, fish should be able to take it. In my younger years, I did a lot of fishing. I still enjoy fishing. That's not the issue.

Anyway, one year when it snowed like crazy, the snow was still in the Mammoth mountains in July, slowly melting making all the rivers and lakes in the area great for fishing. Well, we caught so many fish we were tossing them back in, but before we tossed them back in, we would smack them on the side of the boat pretty hard. They'd lay on top of the water for a few minutes and swim away without any problems. I'm not saying this didn't cause some kind of damage, but the fish seemed to be okay.

coldmachineUK said:
Oh, one other thing: I think I came across this fish when I was browsing through brackish species...you may want to double check that this poor thing doesnt need salt in his water.
I've done several online searches on this and it seems to be mixed. Some people say they need it while others don't. I know that when my father had his he never put salt in the tank and they did just fine. Of course, I also know that 'doing just fine' isn't the same as being happy and healthy.

Does anyone with experience with these fish add salt to their tanks? I don't think the fish in my tank will tolerate it, mainly my Pleco.

theotheragentm - Why on earth did you smack the fish on the side of the boats? Seems pretty cruel to me. :(

GouramiFanatic said:
theotheragentm - Why on earth did you smack the fish on the side of the boats? Seems pretty cruel to me. :(

There were birds feeding on the lake. If the fish was lying there long enough, we would watch the birds swoop down and grab them. We were young. This was before I saw fish as something to care for, and just something to eat.

theotheragentm said:
There were birds feeding on the lake. If the fish was lying there long enough, we would watch the birds swoop down and grab them. We were young. This was before I saw fish as something to care for, and just something to eat.
At least now it makes it seem a little less cruel as the birds were getting a free meal out of it. I still couldn't do it though...

As an update, I don't think this fish will survive. He (or she) seems to be laying on it's side a lot. It's moving around a little bit, but I don't like how it's just lying there on it's side. So depressing. I just wanted to help the poor thing and I think it's going to die regardless. :cry:

Just to update everyone, this poor fish has died. :( It went so quickly, but you could tell by looking at it that it wouldn't make it. So tomorrow I'll be heading back to the pet store to get my money back. I tried to save it.... poor thing...

Sorry to hear the rope died. You tried to help it, probably more than that lady at the store would have done.

Thanks Musket. I feel awful that this poor thing died, but at least I saved it some stress of having to be released, caught, and released again (probably dropped again as well). I just wish the outcome was a bit better.

When I realized the fish died I put it an old Betta cup that I had. Fortunately (or should I say unfortunately) the same lady who dropped this fish was working again today. She remembered dropping this poor thing, but then made a snide comment that she couldn't test the water since I had only brought the water that it had been in overnight. I couldn't believe her attitude. She came right out and said she remembered dropping it, but wanted to test the water to make sure it wasn't the water that killed it. Granted I'm sure that the water may have played some role in it, common sense should tell you dropping it 6ft onto a concrete floor twice probably played much more of a role. I'm still fuming over this. Tomorrow I'll be calling the manager to make a complaint over it. I'm just a little to upset right now to make the call.

that's ridiculous...i would've thrown the cup at her face, then laughed...

Definately complain. The incompetent handling alone would make me complain to a manager or to corporate (if it's a chain), but the attitude on top of that is unbelievable. I'm sorry you couldn't save this one, but maybe you can make it better for the fish still at the store. Poor ropefish. :(

Back
Top Bottom