I seem to have a PH Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well everyone...this is really puzzling me.

This weeked I cleaned up one of my aquariums that kind of got algea covered and...I kinda let it slide to change the water...and what not.

Well..apparently a fish died. I was disapointed but I decided to take this as a chance to re-do the aquarium completely!

So I did. I cleaned it up and replaced the filter cartridge and just gravel vacummened.

a day ago I drove an hour to pick up some better quality fish.

The tank I'm talking about is my 10 gallon and I decided for some high quality guppies.

I tested the water and noticted my PH was a little low...6.5. I didn't like that at all. So, I did a 10 - 15% water change and then tested the water and found that it returned to 7.0. I found the cause of the drop to be the fish that died. Apparently had been sitting in there about 3 days...and I missed the body when I did my large water change (about 50% in preparation for new fish)

I put the guppies in and they seem fine and happy.

Well today after school, I tested the water and HOLY CRAP! My PH registers at 5.0. I kinda freak out, but then decide my test kit is going bad, as it was well over a year old and was one of those tablet kinds.

Well I bought a new test Kit and tested...and HOLY CRAP! It is 5.0!

I changed 15% of the water today again as I did yesterday, but I saw no change at all.

I'm really worried...these guppies were very expensive...$8.99 a pair and are of breeder quality.

What should I do? I know not to do a big water change as this will PH shock them, but there is no way this low of a PH is good for them...the lowest guppies are suppouse to be at is 6.8!

I was wondering if maybe the jungle lab's chloraine and chloraime remover could be causing a false reading? That is the only chemical I have used on this tank for...3 or 4 + months.

What should I do? Continue the daily 1/3 water changes to try and get this back at a normal level?

Oh yes...The PH of my Tap is around 8.0 - 8.5, it seems to vary.

Please help! I will be posting the GH and the KH shortly.

Ahh Jchillin thanks...It seems this has happened in both of my older tanks...for the same reason...Ugh I'm such a slacker.

The thing I'm not really understanding though, is that I did about a 50 - 60% water change, and new filter change before I added these guppies...Was that not enough to fix all of this?

ugh I'm so upset.

Any advice on trying to save these fish?

I will do the daily 20% water changes...as I have been doing for two days now, but I'm not seeing a huge difference yet!

I will try my best.

ugh this is upsetting :-(

erhm..also...

the uhh water conditoner I'm using says it removes "heavy metals" could that be playing into this?

It's possible that the fish can survive. It is a slow process may even take a couple of weeks to restore your buffers. Just be patient and monitor the parameters before each change.

What brand of conditioner are you using?

That happened to me not too long ago. PH crahsed and took most of my fish with it, and the ones that survived were so messed up that most of them ended up dying not too long afterwards.

Mine happened after adding a new piece of driftwood. I soaked it for about a week to get rid of the tannins, but I when I put it in the tank, crash and burn. And it was about a week before I was going to order Discus for it.

Ugh...this sucks...My fish are still alive and don't really even look very sick.

I'm using Jungle Labs "start right"

Im thinking this couple be the problem as it says "Removes Heavy Metals that are harmful to fish"

Ugh I dunno...I tested the PH of the chemical though and it said 7.0.

I need to some more advice on what to do ahh!

I really DO NOT want to lose these fish.

What is puzzling me is that...I did a 50 - 60% water change 3 days ago...!! What is going on?

A large water change has no affect on the problem. Only small changes over time will correct it (or adding the crushed coral as BrianNY suggests).

The other issue is that your fish have become acclimated to the lower ph. Raising it too quickly can stun them similar to adding a fish from an 8.0 tank to a 6.7 tank without slowly evening out the differing levels.

It will take patience and diligence on your part. It will correct itself if done properly.

In regard to the conditioner, I've never encountered Jungles Labs products but, to be on the safe side, I use Aqua-Safe (by Nutrafin).

First, test your tap water right out of the faucet. Then test it after it has set for 24 hrs. If the latter reading is low then your water definitely has a low KH (no matter what the test kit says, your fish don't lie). Baking soda is an easy way to raise your KH. You only have to add it when you do a waterchange. Crushed coral works but you cant control how effective it is. Baking soda is fool proof.

Baking soda is fool proof

be careful when using baking soda. A little goes a very very long way and you do not want to be making any fast changes.

Hara said:
Baking soda is fool proof

be careful when using baking soda. A little goes a very very long way and you do not want to be making any fast changes.

thanks...I read and article about it...and it said to use 1/4 of teaspoon and that wouldn't change the PH much. But when I tested, it definatly went up more than it said it should have. I also changed the 15% for the night right-before hand..and didn't wait very long until I tested. Hopefully it didn't swing up too fast.

do you not test the water in the bucket before you pour it in?? I certainly hope you dont just toss stuff in the bucket, assume it is fine and pour it in the tank. That could be disastrous!

Hara said:
do you not test the water in the bucket before you pour it in?? I certainly hope you dont just toss stuff in the bucket, assume it is fine and pour it in the tank. That could be disastrous!

I use a python system...and have for a long time. Are you saying to check my water with my test kit before I add it to the tank? Well...sorry I'm not going to do that. My tap parameters has not changed for 3 years.

as far as the baking soda...I use a calculator on the web according to my gallons.

and please do not act like I'm an idiot next time...

I was patient and helpful, you chose to ignore the advice. You got adverse results because of it. Your tank maintenance leaves alot to be desired. Under normal circumstances, when you are not trying to fix something that is wrong, you may be able to get away with just dumping water in. All water sources change chemistry unless you are using ro water. and just a question, how do you know it hasnt changed if you have not tested it for 3 years? If you are not willing to make the efforts then you deserve the results you get. Unfortunately, your fish do not.

oh and just for the record, I am not acting like you are an idiot.

Hara said:
I was patient and helpful, you chose to ignore the advice. You got adverse results because of it. Your tank maintenance leaves alot to be desired. Under normal circumstances, when you are not trying to fix something that is wrong, you may be able to get away with just dumping water in. All water sources change chemistry unless you are using ro water. and just a question, how do you know it hasnt changed if you have not tested it for 3 years? If you are not willing to make the efforts then you deserve the results you get. Unfortunately, your fish do not.

oh and just for the record, I am not acting like you are an idiot.

Well clearly you haven't really understood my replies. I test my water, generally, every two weeks. The PH crash is from a different reason than "lack of maintenance". I said my TAP WATER has not changed for 3 years.

Please stop posting in this thread. You never gave advice...you just jumped in and yelled about baking soda...

As far as my "ADVERSE RESULTS". The actual caused of them was my tap water.

Again I used a specific calculator designed to tell you how to raise your PH with baking soda.

This thread needs to be locked. Apparently it has turned into a flame war...I should not have even dignified you with an answer.

PK.. did you test your tapwaters PH recently? If so what was the result? If your tapwater result is greater then 3KH then baking soda shouldnt be nessisary, many smaller water changes with the python will bring your KH back up. HTH

Testing of water parameters is a serious part of this hobby. I believe the question was whether you had tested the water that was prepared with the baking soda.

When you stated you hoped that the ph did not swing to high led to the question being asked. It appeared that you did not know how much you used.

I had mentioned that getting this problem solved will take time and patience. I spoke from experience as I had a very similar problem not so long ago. I was given the baking soda advice by someone and when I researched it, I discovered that I could save money and time by doing the water changes and gravel vacs as described in the link I provided. My tank recovered.

This thread needs to be locked. Apparently it has turned into a flame war...I should not have even dignified you with an answer.

You obviously have no idea what a flame war is, I was tempted to show you after reading your posts. If you post to an advice forum, chances are your going to get advice, sometimes you won't like it and sometimes it will make you feel like an idiot. That does not mean you were treated like one, it means you realize by seeing the words in print that you have acted like one.

Thread closed at request of original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom