I think I might of messed up "mixing substrates"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thornious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok here is the deal. I bought playsand for my 75 gallon tank. I really like the look of it, but it seems every time move something on the bottom it stirs it up. So I wanted to add some aquarium gravel on top to help control the sand and give it some color, but I endedup up pretty much covering the sand with a fine layer of the new gravel. Is this going to cause problems, since I will not be strirring the sand everytime I vaccum?
If that is a problem, would I be ok if I throughly mixed the sand and gravel, instead of letting it coat the top of the sand. I do not have any thing in the tank now so if I need to fix something please let me know.

I have eco complete and natural gravel in my tank and either way, the sand will stir up some when you mess with it. But it won't cause any damage and even if it doesn't stir up when you gravel vac, you are most likely getting the tank fairly clean.

OK question, I understand that sand has to be stirred to avoid gas pockets. If stirred the gravel and the sand will mix and over time wouldn't the sand go to the top as the lighter material? If you don't stir the sand you risk gas pockets right? I'd get heavier sand like pool filter sand. JMO

Back
Top Bottom