I think I'm in love!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got some panda Corys... my goodness, they're the cutest little things I've ever seen! I've wanted them since I set up my tank but was unable to find them and it's just now done cycling, so I went to the fish store "just looking" and came home with these little cuties.
Any tips on being a first time Cory mom?
:)

How many you get? Have a place where they can get away from light? Sandy bottom I hope?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They only had three, but they know to call me as soon as they get more. Hoping to have 6 or maybe more. I have rock formations with caves they love hiding in, some driftwood to go under, and live plants to hide in too. Substrate is very small, round gravel so it won't cut their barbels.

Hello fellow panda cory mom! [emoji1]

I have three as well and they're a little shy. They're so freaking cute though. I'll be getting three additional ones very soon though so hopefully they'll get back to their cute squishy waddle-swimming selves.

LOL mine are exploring all over the place. It's just too cute! They chase their reflections and dart around, chase each other, and hide... <3

They are quite active, mine go around the tank in a line, up and down all around.. think I have 7-8, bigger numbers bring out better behavior imo.

Sure, I'll have to wait until 4 when lights come up.. a little video perhaps..

Just got some panda Corys... my goodness, they're the cutest little things I've ever seen! I've wanted them since I set up my tank but was unable to find them and it's just now done cycling, so I went to the fish store "just looking" and came home with these little cuties.
Any tips on being a first time Cory mom?
:)

Pandas are close to my favorite corydoras. How many did you get? They like to be in schools of at least five. As for substrate, corys do best on sandy or smooth, small-grain gravel substrates, though I've kept them successfully on substrate as coarse as eco-complete.

Oh, for foods, don't rely on food give to the other fish to get down to them in enough quantities. Get a good catfish or bottomfeeder pellet, too. They'll also go nuts for frozen worms or shrimp.

Enjoy!

They only had three, but they know to call me as soon as they get more. Hoping to have 6 or maybe more. I have rock formations with caves they love hiding in, some driftwood to go under, and live plants to hide in too. Substrate is very small, round gravel so it won't cut their barbels.

I should have read further. Looks like you have a good handle on things. :)

What food brands do you recommend? I was looking into some sinking pellets or catfish wafers, but I wasn't sure which products were preferred.

Okay, thanks! Just wondering- is it odd if my cories are swimming around the middle of the tank, going up and down walls, sometimes going near the top, and then going back on the gravel? They seem to be playing with their reflections or swimming around because they can? (Not sure). They sometimes are going places (i.e. on top of my rock formation to scavenge, or on top on my anubias plant to rest on the leaves) but other times seemingly just swim around for the heck of it, up and down the glass. I think someone told me this is normal. I have seen them go up for air once or twice since I got them, but it's not often of frantic, so I know it's not a water quality thing or lack of oxygen.
They just experienced their first water change in my tank- around a 50%. They seem fine, maybe even better now that the water is cleaner and there is less gunk in the gravel. I decided to do it because of algae I can't stand looking at, plus the tank needed a water change anyways. They weren't very happy with me trying to wipe out all the algae, but I think the water is nicer now and they'll thank me.
I've been trying to feed them, but my tetras and platy are determined not to let any food get to the bottom. Even if it does, my platy and one of my tetras have figured out that after food hits the gravel, it's still edible (what a concept!), so they've been gobbling up whatever does make it down there. I don't have a turkey baster so I tried using my bamboo tweezers (best purchase ever, made for feeding crickets and stuff to reptile but work great when I'm doing frozen food. Fish associate them with mealtime and if they appear in the tank they all crowd around. LOL) to put food on the ground, but ended up with a dripping arm and hiding cories. I think I scared them. Can't go to the store tonight, but I have basic pellets, as well as bloodworms and brine shrimp, that I can give them. Any tips on getting them to eat/making sure other fish don't get it?

Okay, thanks! Just wondering- is it odd if my cories are swimming around the middle of the tank, going up and down walls, sometimes going near the top, and then going back on the gravel?

Nah, that's normal cory weirdo behavior, one of the things that makes them endearing. :) I've heard others say the dashing up and down the walls is pre-spawning behavior, too.

As for getting them enough food, you might try feeding flake to the other fish in one corner and then dropping a pellet for the catfish in another, while they're distracted.

You can also feed Cories after lights out.

What temp is tank ? C Panda seem to prefer a bit cooler than other Cories.

Cories go to the top to gulp air. They store air in their gut to supplement oxygen from their gills.

Be aware, when catching Cories use a container, not a net. They have spiny fins plus a spine under their eye. Cories can also sting you if you get a spine stuck in your finger. Effects range from nothing to pain for 2 days. Some species hurt a lot.

Also when transporting Cories, keep them as calm as possible. Use a big bag. Keep bag in dark place. Add them to tank with lights off. Corydoras have a defense mechanism, that they can release toxins into the water to stun a predatory fish, but this can backfire and they can poison themselves in the bag if they're too scared during transport.
Don't add bag water to tank.

Thanks for all the help! They're doing great and I can't wait to get some more. Tank is around 76 degrees, I believe.
I was aware of their spines when I got them, but I never considered getting a cup or plastic container. I just very gently used a net to scoop them out of the bag.
I'm going to run to the store and get bottom feeder tabs and hopefully sinking shrimp pellets, too.

Back
Top Bottom